leak prevention- advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all! -i have just fitted a new bathroom and re-routed the waste pipes under floor using compression fittings. i am going to seal the floor and tile it so it will not be practical to lift it periodically to check for leaks etc-
i was wondering is thier any compound you can pour down the waste occasionally to ensure any potential leaks are plugged. my wasteflow unfortunately is slightly level and a little water will always lie in the pipe .
any comments greatly appreciated
davie

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply
i tried my utmost to get a fall but the floor has very little clearance under the joists and i couldnt cut into them any more than i already have - the water flows off ok but as i said there will always be a centimeter or so lying in the pipe - i know it is not ideal but am at a loss what to to do as the waste had to go underfloor - it is only a 1.5 metre run but with the water lying partially in the pipe i was a bit anxious re leaks !- do you think i may have problems with blockages!!!
regards
davie

Sponsored Links
davietich said:
it is only a 1.5 metre run but with the water lying partially in the pipe i was a bit anxious re leaks !

Worry less about leaks :!:
Be more anxious about blockages :!: :!: :!:

Its a lot easier to rip it up and start again now than when you have tiled it

When I was a paediatric nurse I used to have a false sense of children't health. I kept thinking my own children would get meningitis and die, before the jab we had one meningitis a month in our small town.

Now I'm an emergency plumber I wouldn't permanently cover any of my floors at home, wouldn't tile the side of a bath panel permanently in etc.

But I may have a distorted view, like I did of child health, or I may be sensible?

Well i did tile side of bath as it looks great!

but...

I have a screwed in access pannel just sealed with silicone round edge, so only takes stanly and screwdriver to remove, with screw cap covers, its not noticable if you don't know its there.

Can you Devise a removable access section? even if it means just having to remove grout over the hiden joints?

Access panel best option if carfully planned.

It will take longer to construct, but you will thank the gods for the forsight when you get a problem, which if you seal it in, you can rely on sods law!

Worry less about leaks :!:
Be more anxious about blockages :!: :!: :!:

Its a lot easier to rip it up and start again now than when you have tiled it

As the man says start again and this time use solvent weld fittings much less likely to ever leak if done correctly

MOD

edited to correct quote ;)

why could the waste not run on top of boards and out...using a shalow bath trap ?
u get ur fall
u get easy access

If your waste pipe is under the boards you can always go the dolphin bathrooms way in - up through the plaster underneath. You only need a fairly small patch, which you cut mid-joist.
Dolphin bathrooms people use a lot of plasterers.

You are fairly likely to get blockages. Make sure there's a rodding eye outside or wherever. It's usually hair, and Sulphuric acid is the biz on the stuff. Tends to make a mess of the bath, the shiny bits, and you, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back