Leak - what's causing it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum has just had her new bathroom fitted and her plumber has now gone away for the New Year, so she can't get in touch with him. I thought I would post on here with what seems to be a very unusual problem!

She has had a new bath and sink installed, with a shower over the bath. The toilet is in the adjecent room and hasn't been touched.

When she's not using the bathroom, everything is fine. No leaks, no drips.

When she uses the sink, there are no drips then, either.

When she uses the shower normally, there are no drips.

When she takes the shower off its rail and uses it at a low level to wash her hair, the waste trap under the sink leaks. The sink isn't close to the shower - it's next to the other end of the bath.

She has put a tall jug underneath the waste trap to the sink and it's collected 200ml of water during a normal hair wash (she washes her hair over the bath, rather than whilst standing in the shower). It is definitely not water splashing from the shower and it's not condensation - it is dripping from the sink waste trap.

She measured again when my sister had a bath (with the pop up waste down, no water leaving the bath at the time) and collected 100ml of water.

When this happens, there are also drips from the lever of the toilet in the other room!

What could possibly be causing this?!! Are the pipes somehow connected? Her toilet waste goes into the soil stack, whereas the bath and sink waste go through a separate drain and do not come in contact with the soil stack.

My only thought is that it might be related to the cold water feed, as that's the only connection between the toilet cistern, shower and sink.

I don't get it though. I'm totally flummoxed. Any ideas? :?: I'm going to have a good look at it tomorrow and try to figure it out but would appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
it must be caused by water passing through thre mixer valve back into the cold causing the cistern to overfill, perhaps the bath shower mixer is not compatible with your cold water pressure and needs to be used on gravity only

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back