Leaking bay (not window fitting or roof)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heya guys, I'm trying to find info + solutions but being new to owning a house I am struggling getting the right info etc, maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms - hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

I have recently purchased a ~1900s Victorian mid-terrace, the bay windows at the front go from floor to roof (2 floors) with brickwork gap between the floors.

Everything (seemed) to be fine until this very recent bout of endless rain, and I turn up at home last night with water dripping from the wood above the window in the downstairs bay.

I have done some checking and don't see any big obvious holes, but I've noticed the grouting seems "new" and the white "rendering" (sorry if they're the wrong terms) on some parts is cracked and also has a big gap between it and the brickwork.

A friend also pointed out that some expanding foam seems to have been used.

So obviously I would like to help try to prevent the leaking, so I can only think that:

1) I may need to remove the grouting and redo it maybe with different grouting (I've heard that some houses may have used lime-based grouting to allow 'breathing'?)
2) I will need to remove the foam filler and refill with - presumably - grouting
3) I should remove the "rendering" with a heat-gun + scraper and re-apply a base coat and render
4) I will have to wait until the rain stops to give it a few days to dry out

.. is that about right?
Anything anyone can help with for advice on types of things to use, terminology, how to apply them, etc?
Should I get a "pro" in?

Anything I can do to help prevent the current water damage which I fear might be also affecting the ceiling?

I am attaching photos to help my description above.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

--
Whizz

Attachments

• IMG_20200115_094129.jpg
    IMG_20200115_094129.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_20200114_221137-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200114_221137-01.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_20200114_215858.jpg
    IMG_20200114_215858.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20200114_215908.jpg
    IMG_20200114_215908.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_20200114_201026.jpg
    IMG_20200114_201026.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_20200114_191521.jpg
    IMG_20200114_191521.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 398
Sponsored Links
OP,
what your calling grout is presumably silicone sealing or similar - there's no grout in your bay.
the render above the GF frames has a ledge - investigate.
do you know what state the bay roof is in?
read the Related Threads below.

It could also be the wall at the side of the bay, the troughing could be blocked and overflowing in the rain ad getting in through cracks in the wall.
Check the roof as said, any flashings, yes replace expanded foam with something better.

If its dripping from the ceiling then your problem is on the first floor up.

Looking at the first picture, you can see a new down pipe has been fitted, you can also see that it has been moved over. So is the guttering new? and not been tested to see that it carries the water off the roof and not running down the house?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Leaking behind the old TV splitter box on the upper bay? Driving rain will force its way in especially if facing the storm. If the upper roof was leaking id be inclined to see more evidence of water in the upper bay. Get a ladder and have a good look around the window seals.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Deffo getting up there when I have a chance!
Guitar_man is correct, leaking is close-ish to the (telephone I thought - but possible tv) splitter box, so deffo suspect.

If the roof of the top bay was compromised I would expect damp/signs on the 1st floor, but I cannot see (and couldn't hear) any signs of that (then again I haven't pulled up the carpet / destroyed the bay wood panels yet to look behind).

For people that didn't know, we have been getting wind+rain here, so it's been going about 60-80 degree from straight down, and driving right into that wall.

Thanks for the suggestions.. about possible fixes:
Sealing paint worth it?
Silicone for some cracks/holes?
What about groutwork on the bricks if there's big gaps/cracks?

--
Whizz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back