Leaking cemented sewer pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Currently having a spot of bother with a soil pipe, following getting a bathroom fitted. :confused:

Sorry this is a bit of an essay, trying to get the relevant info in.

I had a bathroom & ensuite fitted in Oct 09, and there have been a few problems to resolve along the way - & still not quite there!

The pic shows where the internal soil pipe joins the waste on the ground floor of the house.

The black soil pipe is plastic; this fits into the ceramic pipe going underground and is sealed in with cement.

Both bathrooms are on the first floor, directly above.
In order to accomodate the soil pipes from both of these, the vertical soil pipe was moved to the right by a couple of inches, part way up the height.

This movement seems to have caused some leaking, which seems to be coming from the right hand side of the cement joint. It doesn't seem obvious exactly where, as a lot of rubble was left in the cavity, which all got wet.
There is no sign of any water running down the outside of the soil pipe from the connections above. All seems well above.

I would prefer the builder to sort it out, as I know it wasn't leaking before.
(I posted on here about 12 months ago on how to deal with the boss on the pipe, and the original pic is still in my album).

My dilema is whether to try to sort it myself, or keep on at the builder to sort it out.
He is due to back to fix another couple of things (still) - faulty flushing in the ensuite toilet and condensation leaking from the ducting in the loft from the extractor fans - a previous post in Building)

Unfortunately builder is starting to lose interest. :confused:

:?: Would sorting this cement joint out be a difficult job?

It may give me more chance to get him back if I can reduce the job count!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Have a close inspection of the fireclay pipe to make sure there is no hairline cracks. If there is u are wasting your time cementing it. U would need to cut out the broken section.

Sponsored Links
the saltglazed pipe collar should have a plastic adapter cemented in . Then the PVC pushed into it - allowing the PVC to move/ expand+ contract. So it`s down to the House Builder for doing it wrong . Not your bathroom builder, tho` he got your fan ducting wrong ( on the build. forum) Moral of the story is ...plumbers for pipework

Moral of the story is ...plumbers for pipework

Thanks for the reply Nige F, tho starting to realise you're right :cry:

I had been aware there was some difficulty with the sewer pipe & building an ensuite wasn't trivial, so had gone for a builder. I knew he used sub-contractors for elec, but wasn't aware of plumbing shortfalls.
We live and learn I guess.

Now I am where I am....
Any advice on best way forward?
E.g. can the weak cement be carefully teased out where it is weak and re-cemented?
or alternatively could a more suitable flexible sealant be used, if the weak part of it is removed ?

Or is this something that is not likely to work and will require a major job digging out the saltglazed pipe collar and removing internal blocks to access? :eek:
This sounds a bit more than plumbing! ;)

Started to get v worried on this now. :(

If you intend to chip out the cement, please be aware that the collar on the salt glaze pipe will fracture and break off VERY easily.
Presumably you can't lift the plastic pipe out and clear?
One thing....dont panic about it....its doing no real harm for now.
John :)

If you intend to chip out the cement, please be aware that the collar on the salt glaze pipe will fracture and break off VERY easily.
Presumably you can't lift the plastic pipe out and clear?
One thing....dont panic about it....its doing no real harm for now.
John :)

Alas the pipe is now well and truly secured in above. It perhaps could be cut to work on the lower half (see pic below)
Won't rush in to anything at the moment. It seems damp, but not flooding out.
Take on board the warning, I've no desire to fracture the collar.
My dad mentioned to be careful too, so not done anything without exploring options first.

you sure it's not leaking from the blank plug bodged into that boss?

No, looks v secure (tho you're right, not elegant).
I did hold the blank plug and tried to wiggle it to see how secure. The plug is secure, but the pipe has about 0.5-1mm play inside the cement :eek: :confused:

I took another pic, which I couldn't easily fit the whole length in view, so turned through 45 degrees to go diagonal.
Sorry, not so simple to see!

It does seem to show the slight movement to the right and also the length on the lower half there may be to work with.

Before anything this drastic, are there any good sealants which could go round up against where the pipe meets the cement?

is that pipe the wrong way up? with the socket facing down?
that might be the source of the leak...
to see, wrap a piece of loo roll round the pipe and selotape it to keep it in place..
if it gets wet you'll know..

is that pipe the wrong way up? with the socket facing down?
that might be the source of the leak...
to see, wrap a piece of loo roll round the pipe and selotape it to keep it in place..
if it gets wet you'll know..

A good tip.
Will set up tonight.
Thanks ColJack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back