leaking cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 30 year old cistern and the ballcock is not shutting off the water supply. The rising water is now leaking onto the floor from the inlet pipe (which is below the level of the overflow) because I cannot tighten or loosen the pipe nut.

I would like to replace the whole assembly but am frightened of cracking the ancient plastic. After WD 40 what else can I try? And what would be the best float valve to use? Any suggestions gratefully received and I hope John D is reading this, because he is obviously the ballcock King.

Sponsored Links
But he don`t live in Sussex, and I do .....If the inlet`s below the overflow then it contravenes the water regs...and @ least needs a double check valve protection against backflow contamination..or if it`s a WC cistern it needs a part 2 or 4 floatvalve ..

Sponsored Links
Measure it up and see if you can fit a new cistern. You may find this easier than making multiple changes to the old one.

Is it "close coupled" or is there a pipe betwen the cistern and the top or back of the WC pan?

(the close-coupled ones have a sort of squashy rubber doughnut that will be perished and need replacing. The bent pipes have a plastic connector that will also want replacing)

Changing a plastic float valve ( things have new names after 30 years ) is one of the easiest plumbing jobs going.

It should be easy to look at it or take a photo with your mobile phone an dget a replacement from your local plumbing merchants.

Perhaps after 30 years your whole system is ripe for a makeover?

Tony

Agile said:
...things have new names after 30 years...

But where's the fun in having a reputation for talking a lot of floatvalves? ;)

Thank you very much for short and straightforward instructions Tony Agile - I managed the replacement without too much trouble, and without damage to the cistern.

Maybe 30 years is a bit old but hey it works. And where can I buy another green suite?

Thanks to all for your replies XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The Plumbers Mate....Eastbourne.....obsolete coloured sanitaryware ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back