Leaking connection between toilet pan and waste pipe...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a slow leak behind the toilet pan between a concertina fixing and a solid plastic waste pipe.

Don't think they are lined up particularly well - the joint is smothered (1 inch thick) in some white sticky stuff (I think it might be plumber's mait????)

Bathroom was installed (before I bought the house!) by a DIY bodger (don't start me on the no of problems I've had.... to give an idea he moved the cistern to make it concealed - but neglected to move the overflow or change it for an internal overflow -:rolleyes: I didn't know I had a problem until the ceiling downstairs caved in... )

Now at breaking point - I have concluded that the whole bathroom needs to be ripped out and redone ...

But I need a bodge to stop it leaking while I get quotes/plans/etc/etc ...

So is the white gunk plumber's mait? Will it work?
Can I just put more on top or do I need to get rid of some of the old stuff first? Is there an easy way of getting rid of the white gunk?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like plumbers mait, another cowboys favourite is silicone (but that doesnt work either).

Sounds like the rubber has dislodged from the pan connector. You could try and push the rubber in bit more or take it out and redo it properly. You'll need to clean all that gunk off though.

Maybe someone else can suggest a better solution.

The only real way to sort this is to remove the loo from the waste pipe and renew the pan connector.....use Toolstation's 72849 if the connection is straight, but if its out of line a bit then 55280 is the one to go for.
No amount of bodging on these seems to work!
John :)

Thanks -
Trying not to make this into too big a job...bit scared of taking it off altogether...sounds like it could become a nightmare (and this is our only loo!):eek:
And really am going to get the whole thing redone....it is one problem after another...

Does anyone know how I can get the gunk off - maybe if I could see what was going on underneath I would have a better idea of whether I need a new connector -or if it is just pushing it together a bit better....

I can manually take some of it off but will anything dissolve it?
And if I can push it together properly (or get a new connector) what -if anything should I seal it with?

Thanks again

BTW When I first looked at the picture of the toolstation offset connector - I thought that won't work - we need one that bends the opposite way...and then I thought about it a bit more ...durrrrr :oops: - really don't think I can be trusted replacing the whole pipe!

Sponsored Links
Is this a wind up? Or will it really work...looks too good to be true....

I'm all up for bit of cowboying for a short term solution.... :D

It really will work - sticks like the proverbial (which is ironic, in light of where you're going to use it). Just make sure that everything is as dry as dry can be, and wear gloves ('cos it will stick to your hands).

Of course it works :!:

Cust: Can i paint that?
You: You can try :LOL:

None of these quick fixes will likely last. If you want to save the tears later on do it properly remove the pan and get the new fitting in place. Not a big job really and peace of mind its not going to leak.

The concertina part of the connector will probably need pushing in the fixed plastic pipe , it has prob. come out get it back in by pushing it in bit by bit working your way round it, it will give you a bit of time before you can do it properly ;)

The concertina part of the connector will probably need pushing in the fixed plastic pipe , it has prob. come out get it back in by pushing it in bit by bit working your way round it, it will give you a bit of time before you can do it properly ;)

Naw: The pan connector will be sitting at a mad angle to the pipe and will have been filled with silicon or plumbers mate. No amount of pushing, pulling or wiggling will get it right without taking it out and doing it properly.

The denso will work in the meantime.

Not arguing Tamz ;) just giving an alternative

I know. ;)

The OP has i think, limited DIY skills and doesn't want to take it out. Denso is the easiest guaranteed quick fix until he gets round to getting it refitted. Easy. Wrap around a few times and smooth out.
Take longer to clean your hands afterwards (and everything else you manage to touch) :LOL:

Ok
First ;) I'm going to buy some Denso tape

Then I'm going to try and get rid of as much of the white gunk as poss...and wriggle the connector about....and see if I can get it a bit closer...

Then if that doesn't work I'm going to stick the denso tape on....

And then if I still haven't got any closer to getting a new bathroom in a month -
First I'll find the number of a local emergency plumber...and then I'll try and replace the connector...

Thank you everyone... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back