Leaking drain gully

You have a RWP that will need renewing - no historic paint down the back,
So on your fuzzy computer screen you can see behind that downpipe ? Though you don't say when it'll need renewing ? Pray tell us how you see there tell?

Sponsored Links
You have a RWP that will need renewing - no historic paint down the back, and a gulley thats well accessible for testing.

Cant agree with that. Though TBH, I'm sure I can see black paint on the brick to the right hand side of the rear of that down pipe at least up to the first eared hanger. Even then, I look after properties that have non painted cast that is still pristine and looks like it will last another 100 years.

I have sorted the gully. It is not connected to the soil stack, so all good.

I now have to replace it with plastic, but what do people think to not using a gully with a trap ? It would mean cutting the vertical clay pipe lower down and then fitting the adapter and then coming straight up in plastic and slide a hopper head on top. It would mean cutting out the lintel, but I think we might be doing away with that anyway. I will post the pics from my phone in the next post.

The cast down pipe is going to be done in plastic starting from mid window height. It will then angle at 45degrees across the wall and down into a new gully or directly vertically into the old clay pipe. Lintel will need removing as mentioned

Attachments

• 50B66942-163E-4BCE-8DC5-D63F570624F9.jpeg
    50B66942-163E-4BCE-8DC5-D63F570624F9.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 6D4D4F8A-B94E-4081-88C7-C2582D75F10B.jpeg
    6D4D4F8A-B94E-4081-88C7-C2582D75F10B.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Madrab,
You are right about the paint on the brickwork - I missed that. But how did they intend to get behind the pipe, even with a paint glove?

FWIW: The majority of CI RWP's & soil stacks I've dropped have rotted at the unpainted back.

Madrab,
You are right about the paint on the brickwork - I missed that. But how did they intend to get behind the pipe, even with a paint glove?

FWIW: The majority of CI RWP's & soil stacks I've dropped have rotted at the unpainted back.
Paint glove ? A fitch maybe ?

As above, chances are its a Combined sewer so will need a trapped gully. For ease of installation I'd just come up, 90° bend on top and into a Bottle Gulley. Use a Back Inlet type and a direct connection can be made for a 68mm plastic rainwater pipe.

Thanks guys

Hugh I am getting a back inlet gully. This has two outlets on it and one is capped off. I was just going to take the drain pipe into the gully through the square hopper cover as you can knock out a hole for the pipe. Is this how you would do it ?

Another query please. The owner of the ground floor flat thinks it is a good idea to check whether the soil pipe has a leak, seeing as we have found one on the rain water. However this is not accessible like the one in the photos and would mean the rear steps of the house would have to be dug out.

She is going to pay for a camera survey. What is the likely hood the cast iron is cracked under the ground? Or would it be in clay?

This pic shows it is just next to the rain water pipe I have been working on.

Attachments

• 58D36C11-4AE0-4D42-89D4-2E0293F4CDFC.jpeg
    58D36C11-4AE0-4D42-89D4-2E0293F4CDFC.jpeg
    552.1 KB · Views: 42
If there is a manhole nearby ( & there probably is), then use a stopper/plug in the manhole outlet for the house, and then fill the pipework with water to an observable level - wait & watch for the level dropping or not.
If the soil pipe you refer to in post #24 is the pipe by the neighbour's door, then its not "next to the RWP"?
The odds are that, in an old property, the ground pipe is salt glaze.

I notice the soldiers of a brick arch - are the steps you mention historic, previously leading down under the arch? Or are they off photo?
I also notice the "lintel" over the gap hardly has bearing - its dangerous.

A camera company is coming tomorrow and doing it for £70 plus vat, so a good deal. They will put a hole in the cast soil pipe and look from there.

The house was converted in 1965 to 3 flats. The cellar had a door into it from the rear and they decided to fill up a lot of the cellar and then blocked up the door.

If the soil pipe you refer to in post #24 is the pipe by the neighbour's door, then its not "next to the RWP"?

I also notice the "lintel" over the gap hardly has bearing - its dangerous.
Re : the soil pipe - you take pedantry and hair splitting to the next level. The lintel is no more dangerous than your visions of dry rot. The only danger is posters taking your pontification seriously.

Underground pipework would be Salt Glazed, but it's quite common for the joints between the cast and clay to break, and/or the rest bend at the bottom to have damage. See what the CCTV shows up, (if anything) and go from there.

All good on the camera survey. I watched it all and the rest bend has not rocked upwards and is in good condition. It is cast iron down to around the rest bend. So this is not causing any issues.

Got the new plastic set up finished and it went very well, even though heavy snow was on the ground in this area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back