Leaking gutter joint (standard seals?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping for some advice on resolving a leaking gutter joint which drips constantly when it rains. The seal seems to be worn out and from a quick look online, it seems some people replace the seal, others the whole joint and some just bung in a bit of silicone sealant.

Strangely, in some cases it's cheaper to get a whole new union bracket than to buy replacement seals, but whilst that's good for straightforward square line guttering, I've identified mine as RWKU1 (which seems to go by various names - Ogee, Marshall Tufflex, Eurocell) and it has a slightly more elaborate shape so is presumably not compatible with the cheap FloPlast ones I've seen.

The only RWKU1 ones I've found work out at several times the price after delivery and yes, I'm being cheapskate so I wondered if I could just fetch a FloPlast joint from my local place that sells Screws and other Fixing things and transplant the seals from new to old. Does anyone know if that would work, or should I just cough up the extra quids for the genuine article?

Pics attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• Gutter joint (1).jpg
    Gutter joint (1).jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Gutter joint (2).jpg
    Gutter joint (2).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link, but don't make me choose between that and pints! :LOL:

Seems daft that it should be necessary or cheaper to buy a whole new thing than just replace a couple of rubber strips, but it seems that's the way it is (I'm guessing the silicone sealant is probably not a good idea and wouldn't last long).

Sponsored Links
Thank you - daft as it may sound, I didn't know that was a thing! Looks like it might be some handy stuff to have (and -1/2 pint is more bearable). (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back