Leaking inwards-opening UPVC windows - what to do?

The drainage you want to sort ASAP, personally I'd leave everything else, just remove the glass, Stanley off the gasket extrusion, replace with 10mm security tape then re glaze, not ideal but it will be secure and watertight, I get a feeling your builder and supplier are now passing the buck, this maybe your cheapest option.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nooz and DHFrames - the information is extremely helpful.

The builder should be round in the next few days. I'll update to let you know what the outcome is as and when...

Two more questions if you don't mind chaps:

1. If the windows were secured with tape as suggested by DHFrames, would that be a permanent solution to the security issue? i.e. nothing more to worry about in that regard for the lifetime of the windows?

2. If the drainage and security can be fixed permanently then I'm not averse to keeping the windows. BUT can you think of any other issues which might occur further down the line due to these windows effectively having their inner face exposed to the elements? e.g. shorter lifespan or some other problem a lay person like myself might not be able to anticipate?

1. Yes,
2. As long as the old drainage holes are sealed and new ones are made coming out the face of the frame you should be fine. I'd also fit drips to the sashes, this would minimise rainwater running down the window and into the profile.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I'd disagree on the first one.

Although the tape is good you'll only get it to stick on 2 thin bits of the frame and I wouldn't be happy assuring you that it would be secure. I've managed to get taped sealed units out with a chisel, forcing the glass out before. Admittedly they were old but if I was a burglar I wouldn't worry to much about damaging your frame.
They might be ok but only might, that's my honest opinion.

Second one, spot on, totally agree :D

Can honestly say without going round with a knife from the inside, I don't think I've ever got the better of a unit stuck in on double sided tape, often tried forcing it out using various tools/try pulling it out with glass suckers, yet still no joy, as mentioned previously, taping the unit in would not be ideal but if done properly it will be secure. Unfortunately unless the builder or supplier is happy to pay for the remakes, this is probably the cheapest and only option available

Bump!

I just wanted to post a quick update on this thread to let you know that the situation had a favourable outcome.

After zero progress with the original builder, I had the windows replaced by a reputable, FENSA-registered third party at the start of Feb.

I then issued a personal invoice to the original builder for the cost of replacement (£950 for the three windows including fitting), and threatened legal action if payment wasn't received within 14 days.

On the 15th day, a cheque turned up in our porch for the full amount. To my amazement it actually cleared without bouncing!

So thanks to everyone who gave their advice on this topic - it certainly helped galvanise my resolve to make the builder pay for their mistake :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back