Leaking lead trap under sink

DSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The lead trap under the bathroom sink has decided to start leaking this morning. Water is dripping from the cover plate on the bottom of the trap.

We have a plumber coming on Monday to take a look at it and decide what to do for the best, but is there a temporary solution so that I can keep using the basin? It all looks quite fragile and potentially corroded, so I don't want to fiddle too much in case it breaks off in my hand!

I guess the plumber will swap it out for plastic, but I did wonder if it is worth a few turns of PTFE tape around the joint as a temporary measure? Will that hold?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i don't think wrapping ptfe round the cap will seal it, it will be a brass insert into the lead with a removeable cap to clean out that is leaking and will have to be replaced, i have suggested denso tape on ths site before for temp sealing of things like this and have got slaughtered but it works!!

Sponsored Links
Done that already! :D

Just wanted to check there wasn't an easy quick fix.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back