Leaking oil filters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 2 inline Aluminium/Glass filter bowls fitted in our oil supply line between the tank & the boiler. Both bowls leak at the top of the glass where it joins the aluminium top. I have tried gently tightening the central bolt but to no avail.

Is it possible that the filters need cleaning? If so, is this a job I can do myself and how do I do it!

Any advice gratefully received

Sponsored Links
You need to replace the bowls if they are plastic. This means you have to buy new filters to get them. The bowls distort until they don't seal properly, and the replacements should be aluminium bowls. If the bowls are glass, then new sealing rings should fix it.

Is this really glass (not seen before) or the Cento aluminium/clear plastic type oilman?

They are probably plastic actually, and are very similar to these (last product)
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/076.asp

Oilman - what is involved in replacing the filters & bowls? Presumably I need to shut off the oil? What about reconnecting & firing the appliances - there are 2 boilers & a Rayburn being fed from the tank.

Sponsored Links
Oilman - what is involved in replacing the filters & bowls? Presumably I need to shut off the oil? What about reconnecting & firing the appliances - there are 2 boilers & a Rayburn being fed from the tank.

Would have been a straightforward exercise. Shut off oil, replace filter, turn on oil. However, if the Rayburn is a vapourising burner, then you should configure the pipework to separate the supplies to the burners immediately after the tank. Each line should have its own filter and stop valve. This is a safety problem, and vapourising burners have been known to go BANG!!! where a common line has been used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back