Leaking shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Our old bathroom leaked in lots of places and caused damage in the kitchen below.

The shower is above the extractor hood and leaks broke it a few years ago. The kitchen ceiling also needs to be replastered.

We got a new bathroom in 2018 and although it's way better the shower still occasionally leaks.

Usually the shower is fine but occasionally it can still leak which goes into the old extractor and drips a water on to the hob.

I've tested it and it happens when you point the shower head directly at the shower panel.

I know this is an over the top test, but it does seem to happen a bit but only slightly when people use it.

Probably a silly question but am I expecting too much? I mean should the shower panel be sealed completely or is this just happening with improper use and we should just be more careful in shower?

I want to get a new extractor and the ceiling fixed but I have to be happy with shower first.

Any idea how much it'd be or if it's a difficult job to get a plumber in to properly seal the shower panel?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There should be no leaks whatsoever.

Can you show us a pic of the seal between the shower tray and wall panel?

Chances are the sealant has split and just needs resealing - a job you can easily do yourself

All depends on what's behind the shower panel. If they've left the tiling behind the panel open where the supply pipes are located then that could be the source of water ingress. Suggest a look behind the panel would be the first place to start.

Thanks for your help on this. I'll take further pics and post them.

The shower panel has been sealed to the wall so I'd have to break that to check behind. But not a biggy I guess.

Yeah, I'll post further pics and see what you guys think first.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yup, as @sircerebus666 mentions, have a good look around the wall to tray seal too, you should be able to see if there is a break in the tray to wall seal. If the shower tray was installed properly though then it's shouldn't leak at that point but wouldn't be the first time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back