Leaking soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice or recommendations to fix a leak that has developed on an external soil pipe. Attached is a sketch of the problem area. Basically the leak is on a push fit plastic elbow. For some reason the rubber joint pushed itself out - I dont know how or why but it has. The problem is that the elbow is partially buried in the houses external wall so its not easy just to replace with new, at least with out having to bash out the render and mortar thats keeping it in place. The pipe is also fixed at ground level.
I have tried a sealant but it wasnt up to the job as it leaked again after a few days.

If someone can recommend a good sealant or other way to fix the problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Looks like the wrong sort of elbow really, shouldn't have rubber joints facing down the stack like that. A photo would be better, i'm afraid your doodle is as clear as mud

Ideally it would be a pipe socket at the top, with a spigot on the bottom of the elbow inside it, but you haven't got that so...

One way out would be to cut straight through the pipe at a convenient height, and pull the pipe out of the elbow socket to attend to / replace the failed seal.

Dress up the cut ends and re-join the pipe afterwards with a slip coupling, or a straight coupling with the central locating nibs knocked out, making it a slip coupling.

If you were to cut the pipe at half the slip coupling length above the lower socket, the bottom of the slip coupling will sit against the top of that socket when you re-assemble it all.

If one cut doesn't give enough 'elbow room' to dismantle the stack, make a second cut, removing a section, and reassemble with two couplings.

Sponsored Links
Ideally it would be a pipe socket at the top, with a spigot on the bottom of the elbow inside it, but you haven't got that so...

One way out would be to cut straight through the pipe at a convenient height, and pull the pipe out of the elbow socket to attend to / replace the failed seal.

Dress up the cut ends and re-join the pipe afterwards with a slip coupling, or a straight coupling with the central locating nibs knocked out, making it a slip coupling.

If you were to cut the pipe at half the slip coupling length above the lower socket, the bottom of the slip coupling will sit against the top of that socket when you re-assemble it all.

If one cut doesn't give enough 'elbow room' to dismantle the stack, make a second cut, removing a section, and reassemble with two couplings.

Thanks. THis sounds like a good solution.

Unfortunately I dont think you'll be able to achieve much without cutting into the wall. The bend needs replacing, might be better to use the opportunity to replace the section of pipe down the wall so there is a socket at the top. Fit spigot end of new bend into the socket and it cant leak in future then!

First Floor FFS - it needs a T not an elbow and a vent off the top or @ least an AAV

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back