What type of joint is this in soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The 4" soil pipe elbow shown in the photo is leaking at the top - water is gathering around the 'lip' where the elbow meets the vertical pipe. The vertical pipe is a vent, so the leak seems to indicate that water is backed up enough in the pipe to reach the top of the elbow. This is borne out by the toilet flush (which comes in to the horizontal pipe that goes off to the right in the photo) - the flush often sucks water out of the u-bend in the toilet.
Problem is I cannot get the pipe out of the elbow to check it, nor can I push it further in. I assumed it was a push fit but perhaps it is welded? Is there a trick to getting these things apart if it's possible at all?
DSC02799.JPG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks all, perhaps I can get to the blockage via the tee where the toilet joins the pipe. If I can unblock it then the leak will be solved too.

Is that a saddle clamp at the very top of your photo or a boss clamp with some other device feeding into the stack.
Even with a blockage there should be no leaks on the ring-joint.
Is the pipe going out of the top of the photo actually horizontal or vertical.

The clamp is a boss, the sink waste goes into the pipe there. I suspected this as the cause of the leak at first but there is no sign of the boss leaking. I thought the ring joint might leak if a) it was full of water and b) the vertical pipe is not fully home inside it - as I can't undo it I can't tell.
The pipe at the top of the photo is vertical, the angle looks a bit odd just because I couldn't get the camera into a suitable position.
Thanks for all help.

jon92, good evening.

Could be there is an Insurance claim here? but if you do intimate a claim for damage to underground services, your Premium will go up next time you renew the insurance, If so try a comparison site for a better quote?

Ken.

It could be a blockage further down the run - outside in a manhole - first place to look ;)

The strap-on boss is leaking, if it's vertically the top joint there's little chance the top ring seal joint will leak, even if its blocked. Get a time-served Plumber in to fix it.

jon92, good evening.

Could be there is an Insurance claim here? but if you do intimate a claim for damage to underground services, your Premium will go up next time you renew the insurance, If so try a comparison site for a better quote?

Ken.
Insurers won't generally pay out for wear & tear failure. They'll pay for gaining access and consequential loss, but the pipework repair is unlikely to be covered

As suggested, it is most likely to be from further down in the flow direction.

Usually cured by rodding upstream from the next access point.

Tony

Agreed Tony, but this elbow is that access point! I will have another go at removing it and if that fails I suppose I can cut it out and repair with a couple of straight connectors and short lengths of new pipe (and a new elbow with a rodding point).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back