Leaky Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently replaced an aging system with a push button "Fluidmaster dual flush with inlet fill valve" - and am having a bit of an issue with leaks, it's a close coupled toilet.

Am I right in assuming that, with the cistern not on the toilet, I should be able to add some water to the cistern and none of it should leak out? I'm trying to get this right before re-attaching to the wall (a right pain), it's not the main bathroom so I have time (luckily) and can now begin on something of a learning curve...

So, the water leaks from the nut that sits in the dohnut - but I've not got that far yet as I first wanted to make sure that it was all 'sealed'; the nut is tight but the water still drips out quite quickly, should I use something like plumbers mait here to help seal it off - or is there a common and obvious oversight?

Sponsored Links
Check that you have fitted a washer to the inside of the siphon/flapper before tightening up the backnut

And make sure surface between washer and cistern is clean and free from scale, grit and muck.

Syphon then washer then cistern then close coupler ( if fitted ) plate then back nut.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back