Changing a Dual Flush Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm in the process of installing a Fluidmaster Dual Flush Valve. I have turned off the water, emptied the cistern, undone the screws connecting the cistern to the bowl and have come to removing the nut from the inlet pipe. However, when I turn the nut the whole inlet valve inside the cistern turns. Does this mean the valve and nut have been glued together to stop any leaks or do I just need to use brute force. I don't want to force anything unless I'm sure it's OK to do so.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Just grab the fill valve whilst you undo the nut....this happens quite often.
Whether its the pipe connector nut or the nut that tightens the fill valve to the cistern doesn't matter - the same applies.
John :)

Hi Burnerman

Oh dear this is tough. I have done what you suggested and undone the nut holding the fill pipe.

On the inside of the cistern there just appears to be 2 screws connected it to the bowl with wing nuts underneath. I have taken the plastic wingnuts from underneath the screws but the screw just keeps going round and round and doesn't come out. I have spent the last half hour pushing up from underneath as I unscrew the top but there must be an easier way of doing it. Please help - I'm shattered.

I have done what you suggested and undone the nut holding the fill pipe.
I have taken the plastic wingnuts from underneath the screws but the screw just keeps going round and round and doesn't come out.

I'm unsure how you managed to do A before you did B.

I think your A is not what it should be. What exactly do you mean by "fill pipe"?
Picture might be helpful.

Sponsored Links
The fill pipe is the main pipe coming into the cistern from the mains with the valve that turns the water off.

I have managed to get the screws out now. There was a small nut between the bowl and the cistern that kept turning until I held it with an open spanner. Now my problem is that whoever installed it, secured it with sealer. Once I have got that off I should be able to lift the cister off. Hopefully. Here goes! Needless to say this is the first time I have attempted this job.

Welcome to the domain of the half hour plumbers job :p
Well done you! These things can be a real PITA.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back