Leaky Karcher K4 Compact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Would really appreciate some pointers on how to fix my leaky Karcher K4 Compact.

The machine still works but unpressurised water dribbles out the bottom of the motor housing, from the gap between the silver and black parts (the motor and housing), shown by the blue line in the picture. It's not running down the outside of the black motor housing.

IMG_20230215_170028738~2.jpg

I've included a full length pic of the inside of the unit for ref. I've unscrewed four screws around the black motor housing and loosened it a bit. Can't take it fully out as there are wires leading to the switch mechanism.

Any advice about where this leak might be coming from and how to fix it would be much appreciated. I'm suspecting a faulty gasket or washers somewhere but not sure where.

IMG_20230215_170627607~2.jpg

Sponsored Links
In mine (a different model) it was due to water left in the pump freezing/expanding and cracking the cylinder head, not something I regarded as an economic repair.

Blup

Hi Blup, thanks for that.

I don't think the problem is in the cylinder head - there's no leak coming from there. The leak is from the bottom of the unit between the motor housing and what the diagrams call the 'motor cap'.

I'm not sure bit it seems like unpressurised hose water actually circulates in the space between the motor housing and this motor cap. Seems a bit risky to me, but maybe it's a way of using water to cool the motor??

if that is the case and there's water circulating between the motor housing and the motor cap, a failed gasket somewhere in there would explain the leak I'm seeing. I've coloured it in blue in the second image below.

Screenshot_20230216-125101-568.png

Screenshot_20230216-125125~2.png

Quick update - I managed to prise the motor cap off the motor housing. There are two chubby gaskets (as in pic above), one at the top and one at the bottom which I guess should be forming the seal. They seem in good order, but the lower one has some white sludge on it so maybe it's not sealing as well as it used to? No dints or dings in the motor housing or the cap, as far as I can see. I may re-lube with some silicone grease and reassemble and see if it holds its water...

Sponsored Links
Yes, that seems the way to go, worth replacing the gaskets if they can be sourced economically.

Blup

Happy to report success. One leak-free pressure washer! Result. Let's see how long it lasts....
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back