Leaky toilet after Bottom Entry Fill Valve change.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Frustratingly this is something I've done on other toilets, but either too many blows to the head, of the mysteries of time have stumped me on this one.

I've bought a Fluidmaster Bottom-Entry Lever & Fill Valve Cistern Pack to replace an aging float valve system that was making a lot of noise, all seemed to go well (despite having rusted screws and bolts to extract), but now it leaks - and it leaks to such a degree that I've clearly done something wrong.

Basically, the inlet pipe leaks where it meets the bottom entry - the fiber washer is there, and didn't previously leak, so would think it shouldn't be that - and also the backnut leaks water, so it's not holding it either (rubber seal is in on the inside, etc) - I don't know, does this suggest that things are not lined up properly?

There was a lot of plumbers putty in the tank, and I've removed most of this so it shouldn't be affecting the seal, and we now live in a high water pressure area

I'm probably going to realise I've done something stupid soon, but until then... any ideas as to where I've clearly gone wrong??

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Examine the seal on inside cistern ,if in good condition ( should have got a new one with the valve ) refit the valve and tighten the nut on outside but dont overdo it. The fibre washer should be new dont re use . Fill valves with brass shanks are far better than plastic ones ,which can be easily cross threaded.

Thanks - just been looking at this again, looks like the initial shank is cross threaded; tried a different one and that has worked in stopping the leak from the inlet pipe; but sadly, still no joy regarding the leak from the cistern itself.

The seal came with the valve and is fine itself, so either it's not sitting right inside the cistern (putty residue?) or something else.

The valve (even at it's smallest reach) sits on-top of the inlet valve, and I wonder if it's too close and is pushing it up slightly giving the gap for the water to escape from? Or would this not be an issue if the seal was flush?

Fibre washer - noted, will get one ordered (didn't think about that, did order a new coupling kit though...)

Did not see the brass ones when looking (online) but an important lesson for next time!

You could try a thicker washer. Some are flat ,others are much thicker and "cone" shaped ,which are better if the inside bottom of cistern isnt totally flat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again - I've been looking at this more (it's an obsession) and the old valve does seem to sit better/closer to the cistern than the new one - it's a case of millimeters, but it makes all the difference... the new one is a bit longer, which means it hits the inlet pipe and pushes back up slightly.

Don't have any alternative washers spare, so will pop into my local DIY place and see what I am able to find tomorrow... am I allowed to double up and washers (as I have a spare from the cross-threaded valve...) or is that stupid and exactly why I should get a man in next time?

One thicker washer would be best practice. Of course you may just not be tightening the nut up enough ???

Cheers - will see what I can get.

Have tightened the nut as far as it can reasonably go (I think) and still get drips; think partly could be to do with the slightly longer pipe on this valve meaning that the rubber washer is plush (to the cistern), but the plastic part above this is not right behind it - so a thicker washer may work...

Thank goodness houses have more than one toilet these days...

Managed to reduce the drip to almost nothing (almost!) still a shallow pool of water so will see about finding alternatives for bigger/better washers - is there a particular place better than others? I have the usual assortment of stores nearby, but lack a plumbing focused place...

Examine the seal on inside cistern ,if in good condition ( should have got a new one with the valve ) refit the valve and tighten the nut on outside but dont overdo it. The fibre washer should be new dont re use . Fill valves with brass shanks are far better than plastic ones ,which can be easily cross threaded.
Indeed.beaten only by saniflo for being a pain

Managed to reduce the drip to almost nothing (almost!) still a shallow pool of water so will see about finding alternatives for bigger/better washers - is there a particular place better than others? I have the usual assortment of stores nearby, but lack a plumbing focused place...

A plumbers merchant is your best bet . dont think screwfix or toolstation or B &Q do them as individual item

Your first post mentioned lots of putty inside the cistern so guess the last person had the same problem.
As also mentioned above sometimes a domed washer fits better that or the valve and washer are not central to the hole in the cistern.

Thanks all - seems to have fixed it with a thicker washer, also gives me a new list of things to make sure I have next time I do this (more and better washers, fibre washers, brass valves).

I think the amount of putty in the tank is probably because the last time this was done the house was a new build? I've experienced a few plumbing issues (the taps were a nightmare) that seem to have been because of the way things were originally fitted was not in a way that made repair/replacement easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back