Lean to roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I going to build the lean to roof for our single storey extension. I have figured out the cuts etc but I just have some doubt over the position of the leger board for the wall.

The truss will sit in the wall plate...do you work backwards from that? I.e wall plate height and use trig to determine the position for the leger plate?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Or you can sit a rafter on the the wall plate and offer it against the wall at the desired pitch and mark the wall.

Hi,

I going to build the lean to roof for our single storey extension. I have figured out the cuts etc but I just have some doubt over the position of the leger board for the wall.

The truss will sit in the wall plate...do you work backwards from that? I.e wall plate height and use trig to determine the position for the leger plate?
You pattern up a rafter, complete with bottom wall plate b/m and the top pitching plate notch-out.

You offer it up into position in say three different places (both ends and centre) and see if there are any discrepancies in the wall that could mess with the job.

If you are happy you go ahead and make all the other rafter cuts using the pattern rafter.

You fix the rafters in place letting them rest on the wall.

You offer up the top pitching plate into position, letting it fit into the cut-out notches and pop in a couple of screws. When you are happy you can bolt it to the wall in the spaces between rafters.

Fix the ledger to the wall first at whatever height it's going.

Cut and notch a rafter, try it along the width of the roof and hope for the best that everything is square and level.

Sponsored Links
Fix the ledger to the wall first at whatever height it's going.
Another way of doing it but it can be troublesome, especially if the ledger needs nudging. Some existing walls bulge out or dip in.

If the recipient wall is pants, then we lean say three of four against the wall in well spaced positions then offer the ledger up to these. It means you can jiggle and pack without too much fuss.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back