Learner drivers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I leave the house about 07.30 and near ours is a major junction with 5way temp lights and a dual carriageway down to one lane and as you can expect it is absolute chaos and it takes forever getting through the lights but recently there appears to be a lot of learner drivers (or maybe me only just noticing them) navigating this chaos this early in the morning and today after waiting for a eternity for the lights to change with a L driver second in the q the lights changed -he stalled and before he got started again the lights went to red and the was over a mile of traffic behind me... I am a patient man but cannot these L drivers be prohibited until after 9am

Sponsored Links
Why don't you get up earlier?

OMG Freddy........ you have just solved the worlds traffic congestion problems... I will put this to our mp so it can be debated in parliment

I have been getting to the office an hour or more earlier for years, mostly to make the commute tolerable.
And no, I don't get that extra back, or paid. But it's my choice.

Sponsored Links
I personally think there's a need to set up "driver training centres" perhaps on disused airfields, Set up as real roads complete with traffic etc, so learner drivers can at least, get "up to speed" with conditions they'll meet out on our roads, before they are allowed to drive on public roads. (at least keep up with traffic/ speed limits etc) I followed a learner driver the other week,, obviously on his, first, second or third driving lesson. Never got above 20 mph (even on a road with a 40mph limit) Wandering all over the place, even at that low speed. God knows what his driving instructor was thinking (oh yes,, another £15 for an hour, holding up motorists, probably)

Don't blame the learners - there's not many of them - but the squillions of "qualified" drivers on the roads who are accidents just looking for a second (or third, or fourth) participant.....

Bear in mind, if you have a full licence, you were once a learner.

There's thousands of them!

I live about a mile from a test centre and the estate i live on and the surrounding area is full of them, some years back it got so bad that the local residents complained to the police, dvla, local MPs and it was seriously looked at and the test centre in question and driving instructors were forced to drive out further afield, it worked for a while but its slowly crept back. I know we were all learners once but its gets silly when you live 4 streets into the estate from the main road and every one has a learner doing a 3 point turn or reversing round a corner.

I know there's a need to learn in real life situations but to clog up a local estate doesn't do anyone much good

Never got above 20 mph (even on a road with a 40mph limit) Wandering all over the place, even at that low speed. God knows what his driving instructor was thinking (oh yes,, another £15 for an hour, holding up motorists, probably)[/QUOTE]

your having a laugh m8,
more like £26 p/hr,i know as i have 2 boys learning now.glad there paying it themselves.

I agree with the OP.

Everyone except "ME" should be barred from the roads when I needs to get from A to B.

I personally think there's a need to set up "driver training centres" perhaps on disused airfields,

Totally agree, that's how I learnt, on an empty former runway. Just basic car control, using the the clutch, going up through the gears, emergency stops etc, should all be taught before they are allowed on a public highway. Yesterday, an oncoming learner crossed the centre line coming towards me and the instructor grabbed the wheel and corrected them, they were quite clearly looking down at the gear stick the whole time!! Some basic familiarity with the controls would have helped that kid a lot!

Set up as real roads complete with traffic etc,

Unnecessary IMHO, initially anyway, maybe some sort of 'phase 2' training could have pretend roads.
Just burning up and down a runway, where you can just drive wherever, swerving around on purpose, even a few skids on purpose, just to get a feel for driving was so much more useful to me.

And at £26 an hour nowadays, why would you pay that to learn the absolute basics that anyone could teach you?!

Gaz :)

I have been getting to the office an hour or more earlier for years, mostly to make the commute tolerable.
And no, I don't get that extra back, or paid. But it's my choice.
If you don't like your commute change your job. You control your destiny you know.

/awaits a barrage a of excuses ......

Sponsored Links
Back