Learning Guitar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

Anyone know of any good books/sheet music for my 13 yo daughter to help her to learn to play her 3/4 size accoustic guitar?

She has started to take 1 lesson per week and knows some chords, but possibly someone here has been down this road before me. She can also read basic music from playing the violin.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Mel Bays Modern Guitar Method is the one my 7 year old twins use with their tutor and they are getting on great with it. check it out on www.melbay.com

You might consider a beginners guitar DVD.
It'll be helpful for a novice.

You won't use it again after a few months so I wouldn't spend too much though.

Sponsored Links
My son bought himself an electric guitar about three years ago and acquired 5 'learn with the experts' cd's. I believe that they came with the mags Guitar Techniques, Total Guitar and Guitarist Interactive. The guitar was played for a week or two then abandoned.

My son bought himself an electric guitar about three years ago and acquired 5 'learn with the experts' cd's. I believe that they came with the mags Guitar Techniques, Total Guitar and Guitarist Interactive. The guitar was played for a week or two then abandoned.

After my daughter abandoned the telescope idea (see previous) my wife went and bought her a guitar -I expect a similar result as you had

Cheers

Richard

The only way she'll keep interest is to learn songs she wants to play. Unfortunately most guitar teachers will show you stuff you don't need to know from the beginning.
I think it's better to learn a few chords (A C D E G), the notes of the strings on the first few frets, and how to do barre chords.

Once you've learnt that, then that should be enough to keep you interested and wanting to know a bit more.

Look for guitar 'tabs' (tablature) when doing google searches for songs as they will show you where to put your fingers

Have a look at Guitar For Dummies. Got some very good reviews

Back