LED Downlight removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to remove 6 downlights over the weekend. They have springs which presses against the roof side of the plaster board. Unfortunately it is a sloping ceiling so I have no access above. Has anyone any tips of the best way to remove these without damaging the ceiling. I have read a number of threads on here suggesting to use a screwdriver to push the springs back. Once pushed back will the springs stay pushed up against the light or will I need to push two screwdrivers in at the same time, one for each spring.

Thanks for your time.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the springs are designed to hold tight to the upper side of the ceiling, you need to pull the downlight downwards until you have access to the retaining springs, then keep a tight hold on them keeping them pressed firmly upwardsand inwards, as they will not automatically stay in that position. There are no tricks that can guarantee you do not cause any damage to ceiling, but it may help prevent it!

Is there a particular reason why you need to completely remove the unit?

Thanks for the advice.

They all currently have ventilation voids around them so I want to add some insulation and use a insulation coverable downlight cover over them to protect them from the insultion. Hopefully I can get them out without creating too much of a disaster zone.

Cheers

Steve

Can you not access the terminals from above, then install loft braces to create a ventilated space which allows insulation to the be placed over them?

Sponsored Links
Hi

No I have no access from above as its a vaulted ceiling. Its a right pain.

Anyways, I got them out without damaging the ceiling.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

Steve

Back