LED driver fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have recently installed LED strip a on the ceiling.. I have used a 250W Led Driver (power supply) and fan is always on.. which is very annoying.. it will be under the plasterboard so assume it will be less noisy when it's all complete but should the fan always be on?

Is it normal? Please advise

Sponsored Links
250w driver? Do you really have 250w of LED strip? Hint, you will need very dark sunglasses.

Get a driver more suitable for the actual load and it probably won’t have a fan.

250w driver? Do you really have 250w of LED strip? Hint, you will need very dark sunglasses.

Get a driver more suitable for the actual load and it probably won’t have a fan.

Its a 17m strip with 11w per meter.. (also factoring in voltage drop) are you saying I don't need 250w ?

The fan is there to run the power supply within spec, there is a ventilation requirement in the datasheet and I wouldn't recommend burying something like that within a plasterboard void. You could segment the LED strip and use multiple drivers instead.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that what I was thinking.. get 2 X 120w ones without a fan..

Are you sure about that? 187 watts of LED lighting ia an awful lot.

Yes RGBW led strip is rated at 10.8w per meter.. I have 17 meter strip which is 183w plus 10% for voltage drop therefore total is 201watts

Is this 12 or 24 volt, how have you supplied it, if from one end, i might be concerned about the current at the start of the tape

Is this 12 or 24 volt, how have you supplied it, if from one end, i might be concerned about the current at the start of the tape
Indeed, I have seen the results of a fair run of 12V 15W/m stuck to the top of gloss painted picture rail. The heat melted the paint and scorched the wood over a metre or two, ½m of which had significant black marks up the emulsioned wall and ceiling 600-700mm above. The track failed fortunately before any serious damage.

Cannabis growing I reckon. I think my whole house has less than 200W of lighting!

@scotcruz I think you will also need to break the run into strips of less than 5m and run individual wires. You should also make sure the strips are not stuck to anything heat sensitive l.

Cheers folks..

I was only going by the advice the given by the shop and wattage per meter calculation.

The tape is stuck to the Metal Frame which should disperse the heat nicely. I have powered the led 10m one end and 7m on the other.

It was the RGBW controller which complicated matters.. otherwise running individual wires to each 5m lenght would have been easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back