LED GU5.3 Lamps Running Off SELV Transformers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've not installed any new recessed lighting for around a decade and things move on.

I confess I have not kept my finger on the pulse of SELV and LED lighting.

The last time I was replacing lamps, LED stuff was in its earlier years.

I found some LED lamps worked as a direct replacement to a halogen GU5.3 MR16, while others refused to play ball.

Further down the timeline, the thinking was you could use LED lamps with these transformers as long as they were loaded up to the minimum loading.

But this is not easy to achieve in many cases.

Basically, I have some recessed lighting at my Mum's which I installed in 1991. Unbelievably, some of the original lamps are still going, along with all but one or possibly two of the original IBL and Mode Lighting transformers, which I replaced with Osram Halotronic.

I'm conscious that the old-school halogen lamps burn a lot of juice and a lot of that is wasted as heat.

Mum would rather not invest in new hardware, so I'm wondering if there is a reliable LED plug and play solution to cut the leccy bill?

Sponsored Links
I'm conscious that the old-school halogen lamps burn a lot of juice and a lot of that is wasted as heat.

Is it really wasted ? In winter the heat from lighting does ( slightly ) reduce the gas bill.

My route when I am finally forced to use LED lighting will be based on the method used for LED strips

upload_2021-4-30_13-17-31.png

Three elements in a cluster and a suitable resister.

Dimming can be easily achieved by varying the DC voltage supplied to the cluster.

By under running the LED elements ( lower current through them ) increases the life of the elements. Running 12 Volt strips on 9 Volts still gives plenty of light and at the same time assures minimal migrations in the semiconductor structure of the LED elements.

Is it really wasted ? In winter the heat from lighting does ( slightly ) reduce the gas bill.

at the expense of paying four of five times the price per kWh, and delivering it to the ceilings, whether or not you need it.

Yeah, this is heat that is ending in the loft and roof voids

Sponsored Links
But some radiated heat does reach the skin. Even if it is 95% phycological the warm white light with a mild heating of the skin does have a good affect on the person.

I’m not familiar with the transformers you mention. Are they wire wound or electronic? Is it set up with one transformer per light? Can the transformers be easily pulled through the downlighter holes?

A couple have one tranny per luminaire.

Most have one feeding two.

Yes, everything is accessible from below.

There is one of three types of tranny:

Mode Lighting

IMG_20210424_203525_894.jpg

IBL (Intram Barwell Limited)

IMG_20210424_204139_462.jpg

Osram Halotronic
IMG_20210501_222258_826.jpg

There are some lights in the lounge using "old-fashioned" Thorn steel-cased toroidal trannies, but they're not part of this job.

A couple have one tranny per luminaire.

Most have one feeding two.

Yes, everything is accessible from below.

There is one of three types of tranny:

Mode Lighting

View attachment 232133

IBL (Intram Barwell Limited)

View attachment 232134

Osram HalotronicView attachment 232135
They are all switch mode supplies not suitable for LEDs.

1. LEDs don’t meet the minimum load requirement.
2. LEDs usually state 50/60Hz or DC. Those SMPS operate at 10s of KHz.

You need to get proper LED power supplies or a real (wire wound) transformer.

Even better replace with 240v GU10 LEDs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back