led light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour asked me to fit a dimmer switch for her, I am a keen Diy'er.... I also have an electrical qualification from years ago... but I haven't used it... When i Opened the switch... There are 3 brown wires in it. 2 to COM and 1 from L1, there are some Earth wires at the back.. The wires are run in old trunking... on surface, it is an old Trust building block of flats. Is this a drop down wiring thing, because it doesn't seem to cover the normal... Do you envisage any problems just putting a dimmer switch on, Lastly, The lady wants an Led bulb, Is there a dimmer especially for such low wattage, so that i don't get flicker which is something i remember happening to me in my own house, i just binned the dimmer.

Sponsored Links
here are 3 brown wires in it. 2 to COM and 1 from L1, there are some Earth wires at the back..
A common arrangement. Connect the new switch in the same way.
If it's a metal switch, the earth wires must connect to the earth terminal on the switch.

Is there a dimmer especially for such low wattage,
Yes, http://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight-led-dimmer-switch-1g-1-2-way-400w-ice-white/4419f and others.
The LED lamp must also be suitable for dimming. Plenty are not.

Thank You Flameport..... Just that i had heard the dimmers don't like Led's, Anyway, she went and bought an Led 15w Large Globe today, my understanding is you can't dim them, i saw on all of them on Amazon, that they specified they were non-dimmable.

Sponsored Links
She is a woman, she will change her mind. OUCH OUCH OUCH... GET OFF... THAT HURT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back