LED Lights - Any Good?

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning an extension to our small kitchen to make a dining kitchen/family room and rather than have the bog standard pendant and spot light fittings, was thinking of usng LED lighting in some places.

I have googled it and whilst there are lots of sources of info, still not sure if it make sense?

Whilst we are likely to have some inset spot lights, where i can use LED bulbs, we will have a pitched ceiling in part, so was thinking that i could light as a feature and would be nice if I could have it light white when we are cooking but perhaps another colour as "mood" lighting.

Anyone any experience of this?

Sponsored Links
Whilst we are likely to have some inset spot lights, where i can use LED bulbs, we will have a pitched ceiling in part, so was thinking that i could light as a feature and would be nice if I could have it light white when we are cooking but perhaps another colour as "mood" lighting.

Remote controlled RGB LED tape would work well for colour changing accent lighting but depending on the height of your pitch roof the 'white' light for cooking may not be intense enough.....possibly look at some good under cabinet lighting to make sure you're not baking in the dark....

thanks for that. it would just be for background lighting, would make sure that there is enough task light in the kitchen area.

why not ask an electrician that comes recommended to you, to look at the site/plans and give you a solution. The building contractor doing the work may have his own electrician and you can talk to your building contractor about meeting the electrician and him(her)self to discuss this.

Remember, it is free to get these quotes and advice, so make some enquiries and calls.

Sponsored Links
if you want normal looking bulbs these are fairly good but the silvery warm white light takes a bit off getting used to

the cool white ones are less harsh but less output

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/LED Lamps/LED 6.3W High Power GLS /d220/sd3276/p66828

a normal 100w bulb is 1300 lumins these are 300/420 lumins but i personally think the light output is nearer 60 than 40w equivilent

i also have one off these 10w 800-900 lumins i would rate at around 90w eqivilent
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B22-Energ...3074730?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item41625c0faa

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I had these installed in my kitchen. Not cheap, but much more efficient to run than standard spots. No bulbs to change either! I've been very pleased. Product name is quad 50

They won't give you your 'mood' coloured lighting though!

http://orluna.com/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back