LED Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Have seen a pack of 10 LED lights (tiny ones) which are to be fitted recessed (at B&Q). They are approved for all bathroom zones so DON'T WORRY!

I'm thinking of using them in the bathroom but won't even consider them if they 'blow' as often as other types of bulbs. So, do LEDs 'blow', etc, and need replacing often? If they do, where do you get replacements for them anyway? It's £30 for a pack of 10 including all the cables, etc, but are they available single if one goes?

Do purple/lilac coloured LEDs or bulbs exist or just blue ones?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you using them to make the bathroom look nice or to actually light the place?

Traveller said:
yes but they are more expensive, and i dont think they are common in pre-assembled lighting kits. a blue and red led together is another way to get a nice purple light from LEDs.

Sponsored Links
Traveller said:

I have some LED uplighters in my bedroom.

They can be purple (or green, or red, or yellow, also colour changing etc)

purpleLED.jpg

GreenLED.jpg

RedLED.jpg

LEDremote.jpg

Controller!

p1737789_l.jpg

Wall wash downlighter fitting mounted in the wall (Wall is stud / plasterboard)

Lamps are MR16 replacement Collingwood tristar RGB LEDs. from CEF.

They are not cheap, and only fit the wallwash fitting with a bit of adaptation. They also require a DC supply.

Thanks for all the replies.

No, not to light the bathroom; just for decorative purposes. They're very tiny (about the size of a 20p maybe). They're like the small yellow, blue and red ones in the picture

http://www.collingwoodlighting.co.uk/cnb/shop/collingwood?imageID=1109&op=imgLib-viewImage

Is it just the led itself that is changed or the whole piece including the chrome (or whatever colour) frame that houses the led?

How is "a blue and red led together" set up??

B&Q also has a set of various coloured, bigger ones (including lilac) which can have various display settings, but they're £70 if I remember correctly! Too much for me, and if the replacements are expensive as well, then forget it!

Thanks.

blue and red is set up as you put it, by having the blue next to the red.

it is done so that the light of one mixes with the other.

idealy you want red blue and green

Thanks Breezer, but I still don't get it. So I buy the 10 pack of white led's in chrome housing, then take the white led's out of the housing and replace them with red, blue and green led's?? If so, how will all three fit in one housing?

you don't. sm1thson said
sm1thson said:
yes but they are more expensive, and i dont think they are common in pre-assembled lighting kits. a blue and red led together is another way to get a nice purple light from LEDs.

in reply to your question of
Traveller said:

to which, i said

breezer said:
blue and red is set up as you put it, by having the blue next to the red.

it is done so that the light of one mixes with the other.

idealy you want red blue and green

I never said in the same fitting.

You can get rgb led lights
prd{FFFC2A49-7ABA-46D7-BF7D-14ECD795F8F8}.jpg
like this one, but its a bit ott for what you want.

tell you what try ebay, i got some led lights that change colour all on their own (it was actualy the led lamps i got, its too early in the morning for me to take a pic, but if you like i will post it later

the problem with leds is its not easy to dim them (you cant actualy dim them, but you can pulse them very fast so they appear dim, which is how i belive they get umpteen million colours from the big light i suggested.

red and blue sitting next to each other will produce purple add green and you have as i said, umpteen million possabilites

As usual the domestic market is years behind industry, Wait a while for prices to come down but there are some great led Lighting fixtures available now which blow away the "old" led lighting that the likes of B&Q etc can supply,the spread is amazingly long, powerful and even.
As i said it's still a tad pricey as it's still a lighting industry fad but as soon as it becomes available in more domestic applications then the stuff available for homes now will become redundant as they are crap.

for an example see: http://www.aclighting.com/colorblock/index.htm

Thanks Breezer/Tim.

So if they're not in the same fitting, then what you mean is move the blue led over to the right until it sits next to the red one in the following photo, for example???? How do the colours mix if they're flat and not at an angle to intercept each other?

http://www.collingwoodlighting.co.uk/cnb/shop/collingwood?imageID=1109&op=imgLib-viewImage

I don't need anything fancy; just want some lights for jazzing up purposes and that don't blow or need replacing for a good many years.

you mount the leds next to each other.

unlike lasers leds do not have a "pencil thin" beam

like the ligt fitting i showed its full of individual leds, al sitting next to each other

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back