LED Plinth Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new kitchen fitted with enough new lights to give Vegas a run for its money. we wanted a 4 gang dimmer to dim the main lights in the kitchen and dining area, which they do, the under wall unit lights, which they do but with a definate buzz but not necessarily the plinth lights.
These however have tendency to start flashing at random times which can only be stopped by turning them off.
I don't want an additional switch but i am guessing the root cause could be the dimmer (albeit an 'intelligent' one)
Can i convert that particulat switch to a straight on/off to rectify the problem or could it be something else?

Sponsored Links
some LED's are simply not dimmable - this may be what is causing this behaviour, or you do not have enough Watts on that circuit for the dimmer to work.

I had 4 x 50W halogens on a 50-400w dimmer, changed them to 11w LED's (44W is less than the min. of 50W) so had to go back to a switch

If you have a dimmer that does push on/off as well as dimming, turn it to full and you may get better results with push on and off but i doubt it.

You can re-do it with a grid switch as mentioned but it won't be cheap. An MK grid dimmer module is £24 (for 220W) x 3 + single pole switch + box + frame + faceplate you're looking at around £100 inc VAT

Sponsored Links
I have just had a new kitchen fitted with enough new lights to give Vegas a run for its money. we wanted a 4 gang dimmer to dim the main lights in the kitchen and dining area, which they do, the under wall unit lights, which they do but with a definate buzz but not necessarily the plinth lights.
These however have tendency to start flashing at random times which can only be stopped by turning them off.
I don't want an additional switch but i am guessing the root cause could be the dimmer (albeit an 'intelligent' one)
Can i convert that particulat switch to a straight on/off to rectify the problem or could it be something else?
Yes if its a 4 gang dimmer . You can replace the dimmer with a fixed load switch that looks the same as your dimmer. However it is an on off switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back