LED Strip Light Problem/Idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ive been attempting to get a 20 metre LED strip light to go around the top of a room in my house for months although until now i only just worked it out... I think i was wondering if anyone would know if this would work by putting 2 10 metre strips (Or 4 5metre strip) and connecting them to one plug with this splitter kind of idea? Another problem is that the socket on the roof is a round pinned one too... any help?

Sponsored Links
So you obviously have had provision put in for some kind of lighting.

What was the original plan when installing the round pin socket and is it 2A or 5A?

So you obviously have had provision put in for some kind of lighting.

What was the original plan when installing the round pin socket and is it 2A or 5A?
That i honestly dont know although if there is a way to find out i am sure i could look

You mean you did not have the round pin socket installed?

Sponsored Links
On the roof? it sounds like you mean the socket is outside, exposed to the weather, rather than the small indoor type.

Is it blue?

Or did you mean it's indoors, on the ceiling?

is it white?

What diameter, would you say?

A photo would be nice. Put something in it to show scale.

Sorry it inside its more a lip coming out from the wall where you insert your strip of light, its a white 3 round pinned socket like so

That one has the look of an indoor 5A to me, which is pretty common. If yours are indoors, plugs are readily available, but you need to measure it.

If it's outdoors, all bets are off, as it is unsuitable.

ok we have decided to get an electrician and swap the plugs around to a square pin to make this a whole lot easier. The only probnlem is do i choose 2 10 metres or have 1 20 metre, will they dim? i have a space of about 3-4 cm from the wall to the end of the lip if that is any help.

Assuming you mean the self adhesive LED strips, then they tend to come in reels of something like 5 or 6 metres. They are all dim-able as that function is determined by the power supply (often called a driver but that's not really the right term) you use to feed them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back