Led tape lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m wanting to wire in 3 led tape lights in my kitchen (1 on top of the wall cupboards, 1 below the wall cupboards and 1 along the plinth) all controlled by separate light switches. Can anyone advise me the best way to go about it please? Can I take the 3 supplies from 1 fused spur from the kitchen ring main? Or will I have to spur each light seperatley? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone advise me the best way to go about it please?
If it were my kitchen, I would like them to be switched from the same place as the other room lights are switched from.

Otherwise, you could feed all the lights from a single fused connection unit.

Hard to say without more information! Have you already purchased the LED strips? How are they powered? Do they each have a plug transformer? Inline transformer with bare tails?

Do you intend to permanently wire them to the mains or power through sockets and plugs?

The 3 switches you mention - are they wireless switches? Where will the switches go?

Your three main options are:

1. 3 separate 12V LED strip kits with 240V plug transformers and wireless switches. For this you will need 3 mains sockets installed in the right places, this could be 3 separate spurs from convenient sockets, or it could be one fused spur from a single socket however I don't see how this is likely to help you get sockets in the right places.
2. 1 longer LED strip kit with a single 240V plug transformer, in this case you power it from a single 240V socket spur, then slice the LED strip into 3 pieces and run smaller 12V cable between the LED strip locations. (This will only allow one switch for all lights but is much easier wiring).
3. Power it from the lighting circuit - no extra switches needed, find the switched live feed to the existing lights, add in a 240VAC-12VDC transformer accessible from one of the downlights/ceiling rose and then run 12VDC cable to the strip locations as per method 2.

add in a 240VAC-12VDC transformer accessible from one of the downlights/ceiling rose and then run 12VDC cable to the strip locations as per method 2.

No such thing as a 240VAC-12VDC transformer. Transformers are by definition AC devices. I assume you mean a 12VDC power supply.

Sponsored Links
One way to avoid rewiring the house may be to use a wireless switching system that uses "adaptors" that plug into a 13A socket and supply voltage when commanded by the battery remote.

I use them to switch a series of spotlights where I am not permitted to wire in to the system
https://www.screwfix.com/p/energenie-13a-wireless-remote-control-sockets-pack-of-3/5964h
There are some systems that can be housed In a pattress. Box

The set that I use has four channels each on/off and all on/off

Depends if you have accessible routes for running cables or hiding the supply as above

No such thing as a 240VAC-12VDC transformer. Transformers are by definition AC devices. I assume you mean a 12VDC power supply.
Sorry I was being generic. Technically a transforming rectifier no?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back