LED tube to replace fluorescent tube in existing batten

Yes, we also have several magnetic experiments that locally generate fields of around 1.2T. Which means along with our usual RA's and warning signs, we have to consider the risk to those who have medical devices, such as pace makers (rare in students), but more commonly, insulin pumps etc.
Indeed - the likes of MRI scanners are a major hazard to people with such devices (of which there is an increasing number, like implanted 'brain stimulators etc.)

I've never really thought about this before, but in the sort of people I mentioned (with borderline electrical heart stability), these massive magnetic fields might be able to induce sufficient PDs in their hearts to be a problem.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Several years back an inspector added loads of 'DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE' stickers all over the electrical installation in a factory. As a result of the inspection I went in with several others to resolve the electrical issues highlighted and we promptly refused to do anything as we were not HV qualified and didn't carry HV PPE. Our suggestion was they didn't pay the incompetent instector until he had successfully explained the purpose of everysingle sticker he'd used.

Several years back an inspector added loads of 'DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE' stickers all over the electrical installation in a factory. As a result of the inspection I went in with several others to resolve the electrical issues highlighted and we promptly refused to do anything as we were not HV qualified and didn't carry HV PPE. Our suggestion was they didn't pay the incompetent instector until he had successfully explained the purpose of everysingle sticker he'd used.
Another demonstration of why the IEC definitions (and also the, different, IEE ones) are, at least to my mind, unnecessarily confusing and potentially dangerous.

Maybe I'm dreaming it, but I feel sure that, just a few decades ago, "Danger High Voltage" warning labels/signs (usually for the benefit of the general public) were fully accepted in relation to 230-250V, with no-one complaining that they were 'incorrect' in terms of 'industry definitions' - were those definitions not in existence then?

In passing, I've just stumbled across this fascinating statement on "electricalterminology.com" ...
High voltage is more dangerous than low voltage because it carries a higher degree of voltage.
I really don't know what to say, but it certainly avoids arguments about 'numbers' :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hi, hope it's OK to piggyback onto this thread as it's still 'warm'....
About 3 years ago, a brother of mine, a bit of an experimenter, was playing around with electronic ballasts, and he reckoned that with them, fluo tubes gave an increased light output compared with traditional ballasts. Sadly, he has since passed away, and as I've got 2 sets of twin fluo 4 ft lights in the kitchen, I'd like to boost their brightness, if I possibly could. So can any of you confirm my bro's findings so that I know its worth shelling out to upgrade my light fittings, by fitting electronic ballasts....
thanks!

The electronic HF ballast is indeed claimed to extend life, reduce power used, and increase light output, but not by a great deal, just makes the fluorescent about equal to the LED lumens per watt, there are also coated tubes to send light out in one direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back