LED tube to replace fluorescent tube in existing batten

Sponsored Links
Yes, as that style of thing is just an old design fluorescent batten case with some LED tubes shoved inside.
Which is what much of this thread is all about... shoving a LED tube in an old design fluo batten case just as the manufacturers have done.

But 'take away starter' ?
Are you perhaps misinterpreting what it is says? I take it to mean (with my red additions, hopefully to improve clarity) ...
Take away the starter and then Replace it with the LED starter

Other than for describe the fuse as an "LED Starter" (which seems an almost universal practice), that seems clear and correct enough to me.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Other than for describe the fuse as an "LED Starter" (which seems an almost universal practice), that seems clear and correct enough to me.

Kind Regards, John
It is not correct. It is wrong and needs to be corrected quickly before it becomes universal.

Are you perhaps misinterpreting what it is says? I take it to mean (with my red additions, hopefully to improve clarity) ...

Kind Regards, John

The LED replacement for starter is really a fuse. So not really an error.
Ahhhh I see some confusion here...
I was working from the drawing from post #11 which is wrong.

This may be a little less wrong:
1662628370284.png

I do understand the convenience of adding the 'LED starter' into the cut wires between the tube ends.

However Fluo fittings almost invariably contain a fuse so perhaps the need for an additional 'LED starter' doesn't actually exist, we just need to verify the correct fuse is fitted if there is an existing fuseholder.

I would think in the main the starter replacement is there for ease of wiring when converting, since one end of the tube is a short circuit the pins simply connected together, moving the position of the fuse hardly matters.

I would think in the main the starter replacement is there for ease of wiring when converting, since one end of the tube is a short circuit the pins simply connected together, moving the position of the fuse hardly matters.

I do understand the convenience of adding the 'LED starter' into the cut wires between the tube ends.
I'm afraid you're missing my point
1662631977348.png

Electronic ballasts have starters?

Last edited:
I see the problem an electronic replacement for a wire wound ballast is not technically a ballast, we have this throughout the lighting industry, the electronic transformer is nothing like a toroidal lighting transformer, and most GU10 and G5.3 LED lamps are not MR16 as they have no multifaceted reflector, bulb refers to bulbous shape so a GU10 is not even a bulb. But neither is it a lamp, historically we had a spigot on the wall, and the lamp fitted on the spigot, the lamp had the oil reservoir, the wick and wick adjustment, and the globe which fitted over the wick.

This 1662642533916.pngis a plug socket, the earth is reverse to lives, but in the UK we have a socket, but so many people still call it a plug socket.

The problem is once one gets pedantic where does one stop? I see a problem calling extra low voltage low voltage, there is a massive difference between 12 and 230 volt, but if it looks like a duck and swims like a duck then it's a duck, even if technically a swan.

Ahhhh I see some confusion here... I was working from the drawing from post #11 which is wrong.
It sounds as if I made the mistake of thinking you were referring to the drawing you actually included in post #14 :)

Kind Regards, John

I see the problem an electronic replacement for a wire wound ballast is not technically a ballast, ....
As I've said before, I'm far from sure why the choke included in the likes of fluorescent fittings ever came to be called a "ballast", so I couldn't be sure what that term does and does not cover :)

Kind Regards, John

I see the problem an electronic replacement for a wire wound ballast is not technically a ballast, we have this throughout the lighting industry, the electronic transformer is nothing like a toroidal lighting transformer, and most GU10 and G5.3 LED lamps are not MR16 as they have no multifaceted reflector, bulb refers to bulbous shape so a GU10 is not even a bulb. But neither is it a lamp, historically we had a spigot on the wall, and the lamp fitted on the spigot, the lamp had the oil reservoir, the wick and wick adjustment, and the globe which fitted over the wick.

This View attachment 278987is a plug socket, the earth is reverse to lives, but in the UK we have a socket, but so many people still call it a plug socket.

The problem is once one gets pedantic where does one stop? I see a problem calling extra low voltage low voltage, there is a massive difference between 12 and 230 volt, but if it looks like a duck and swims like a duck then it's a duck, even if technically a swan.
At London underground stations they have warnings at the end of the platforms warning of 'high voltage'. I assume it is referring to traction voltage which I believe is 600 or 750v DC so actually low voltage.

And how useful do you think a sign saying 'Danger - Low Voltage' would be?

This View attachment 278987is a plug socket, the earth is reverse to lives, but in the UK we have a socket, but so many people still call it a plug socket.

Yes I'm fully aware of all the incorrect terms that get used, however IMO electronic ballast is a very valid term as it is a direct replacement, and exclusively, for a wirewound inductor (pedancy kicking in) ballast.

Again the bulb is the bulbous enclosure and the lamp was the outer enclosure for the LED light emitting device, again I'm happy for a bulb replacement to be called a bulb and the thing enclosing the bulb to be a lamp or shade. I do object to these now being caled lamp and sconce, unless of course my understanding of a sconce being a candle holder is wrong.

Plug socket is a funny one as it is a socket for a plug as opposed to a socket for a ball (such as hip joint) or socket for a vaulting pole or fence post etc. I certainly don't get hung up on people using the wrong terms, such as plug socket, plug top, fusebox etcetera as long as we both know exactly what is being said and intended.

To me a plug has pins, a socket (strictly a jack {and the origin of the popular connectors known as jack plugs and sockets}, although a jack also pushes against or lifts things) has holes

If I have any doubt I'll ask, such as a while ago on site we needed to get a platform for record decks which was disassociated with the floor or wall, the builder was referring to 'coming off of here' meaning 'fixing to here' whereas the consultant was using the same term but meaning 'not fixed to here' and they both thought they were agreeing on a solution. I smiled for a few minutes before asking for exact clarification of the intentions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back