LED Tubes for outdoor sign?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Boys and Girls,
I am after some advice please regarding LED tubes.

I've got an outdoor enclosed sign, it is a sign box with just the front illuminated.

It currently has 2 x 70w and 2 x 58w fluorescent tubes in it on switch start gear (about 15yrs old).

The gear for the 2 x 70w tubes has failed, so, I thought time for an overhaul.

I was thinking HF gear and some decent tubes, but LED keeps coming up.

I know there are horror stories over LED and hopeless light output.

Of course with LED I can dump all the control gear etc, which would solve a problem.

What do you think?

Admittedly the local Dunelm store has just replaced all of their fluorescent's in store with new LED battens and it is quite an impressive light.

Any thoughts are welcome...
Thank you in advance.

Peter

Sponsored Links
The main issue with LED tubes is that they are directional - light is emitted from one side only.
In a home or office, this is usually OK, as light going upwards is often wasted. The LED tubes have a lower total light output, but appear similar due to all of the light being directed downwards where it is required.

In a sign box, all of the light is used, that from the back of the tube is reflected forwards to give a uniform illumination to the sign.
LED tubes may result in a striped effect as there will be no reflected light from the back of the sign box.

HF fluorescent tubes should last for many years even in constant use, and in terms of lumens/watt, LEDs are not that much better than fluorescent. Most of the big savings claimed are due to less light being emitted rather than the LED being significantly better than the fluorescent.

most signs dont use led tubes, they use commercial grade Led strip or Tape, with the 12 volt drivers usually mounted internally above the false cieling.
Dont ask me where you buy them, we only wire them in.
Alterrnatively, buy ready made led batten fittings if you have room to get them in, dont mess around with retrofit Led tubes and seperate fleurescent Hf ballasts

Sponsored Links
Just replace the tubes and renew the dead wound ballasts with new wound ones, they don't mind being in damp environments so much, the electronic ones don't like it at all, and the sealed IP rated ones seem to have a very short life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back