LEDs flashing in unison

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 x 6W GU10's off a single 12W LED supply. No dimming.
After they've been on a while they flash together at about 2Hz.

So I'm assuming it's the power supply, hot, rather than the lamps.
Iirc it came from Screwfix. Can anyone suggest a GOOD make/supplier?
A brand name like "Mean Well" doesn't insprire confidence!

Maybe I should have used a supply with power headroom?

Sponsored Links
GU10 is normally 230 volt G5.3 normally 12 volt so what is the power supply? I have found with electronic light switches you can get a pulsing and swapping bulbs can stop it, I assume too many of same make is the problem, but since they don't always pulse, hard to say what cures it.

I have found to my cost, expensive well known does not mean good quality, Philips claim to have cured problems, but last batch of Philips lights were short lived, so start to think sticking a pin in a page when blind folded does a better job.

Most G5.3 MR16 compatible bulbs seem to be marked 50 Hz so need a toroidal lighting transformer to power them, drivers are normally DC and electronic transformers are in kHz range, a 50W toroidal lighting transformer should not start LED bulbs flashing. However an electronic transformer may have problems as they try to regulate the output voltage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back