Leeking Vaillant ecomax 824 E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a drip coming from the bottom of the heat exchanger when the burner has been on for a while.
Will the heat exchanger have to be replaced or could it be a seal? And is it worth doing as it's an expensive part and and it's an old boiler?
HE.jpg

Thanks Iain

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be taking the cover off your boiler - it forms the safety room seal and should only be removed and refitted by someone who is capable of carrying out the Regulation 26.9 tests, IE a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

The leak is from a seal which should be replaced at a maximum of 5 yearly intervals as part of the standard service schedule, along with another larger seal above it. Personally I don't like leaving them longer than 3 years between replacements. Cost for the pair is about £25. If your bottom one is leaking, you're almost certainly getting carbon monoxide leaking from it too, which is one very good reason why you shouldn't be taking the cover off...

Thanks for reply
You shouldn't be taking the cover off your boiler - it forms the safety room seal and should only be removed and refitted by someone who is capable of carrying out the Regulation 26.9 tests, IE a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

The leak is from a seal which should be replaced at a maximum of 5 yearly intervals as part of the standard service schedule, along with another larger seal above it. Personally I don't like leaving them longer than 3 years between replacements. Cost for the pair is about £25. If your bottom one is leaking, you're almost certainly getting carbon monoxide leaking from it too, which is one very good reason why you shouldn't be taking the cover off...

Ok thanks! I'll get Gas registered guy out to fix it.

Sponsored Links
Step 1 would be to put the cover back on and carry out safety checks required by the gas safety installation and use regulations 1998, regulation 26.9. This looks like a condensate leak from lack of servicing (my opinion from what’s visible). Outweigh cost of repair vs new boiler - whichever you decide, make sure you maintain it.

Edited: went for a shower and come back, page was slow to reload :oops:

Last edited:
Blocked condense & new graphite burner seal needed. (And a good service) It has been changed in the past hence the worn out sticker in the picture. Very early model, it's done well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back