Legal to install new boiler without TRVs on radiators?

DH I am aware of what you say BUT a cleanser will remove the sediment so heat transfer not diminished. dS40 and ferroquest come to mind which I have used effectively in the past

Anyhow, if I was intending replacing th boiler some time in the future, I would clean the present system and get it ready for transfer later

Sponsored Links
DH, the poster said his installer told him old radiators were inefficient to which I replied that I could not see how an old radiator becomes inefficient. Are you suggesting a clean old radiator is going to put out less heat than modern radiator of same size and construction?

This is what op wrote

He stated that fitting TRVs to the existing inefficient radiators would be pointless

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/l...thout-trvs-on-radiators.439230/#ixzz3hVMlSjyX

Last edited:
DH, the poster said his installer told him old radiators were inefficient to which I replied that I could not see how an old radiator becomes inefficient. Are you suggesting a clean old radiator is going to put out less heat than modern radiator of same size and construction?

This is what op wrote

He stated that fitting TRVs to the existing inefficient radiators would be pointless

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/l...thout-trvs-on-radiators.439230/#ixzz3hVMlSjyX

Can't be arrissed to read the whole thread, but invariably when they say "ineficient", they mean "undersized"

Sponsored Links
Now you have put what you wrote in context, I can see what you were driving at: the installer was an idiot.

No, I'm not making that suggestion; though I do wonder how much muck the cleaners remove - even the acidic ones. Someone should push a miniature camera (the type used by surgeons?) into a rad and have a good look around.

Hi,

Thanks for all of the input into this thread. I learn lots by reading others opinions. :)

Actually, the boiler installer didn't say they were inefficient as such... just that new ones would be better for a number of reasons. I probably used the wrong word when trying to sum them up for this thread. They're just old (as in 70s old), starting to rust in places, heavily painted, wrong locations etc. The water is also very hard around here. Nearly everyone who sees them and discusses them with me says they're really old as they're only an inch thick and that new style ones are so much better overall.

Ideally, i'll be getting nice bright white radiators that are deep/ double sectioned with the fins and top grills (not sure of terminology).

Thanks.

Edit: In fact, looking at what can be had now shows many different styles of radiator so i'll have some decisions to make.

Are you suggesting a clean old radiator is going to put out less heat than modern radiator of same size and construction?

Well that is generally the case.

- You've normally got a tighter pitch of recesses presenting a larger surface area into the room
- the steel is thinner (but to the BS Standard) so it warms up quicker (and rots out faster)
- the additional fins encourage greater transfer through enhanced convection

If you (are silly enough to) have a heat pump running through radiators at a circulation temperature of 45C you would most certainly be aware of the difference between a 45yr old immaculately powerflushed radiator and a new one.

Simond, talking like for like, not single panel compared to single panel with convector fins.
If indeed there is inefficiency when comparing like for like, what is the magnitude? Is an occupant in the room liable to feel the difference in heat output from say a clean ancient 1000x600 SP and brand new 1000x600 SP?

Hi,

I just thought that for the benefit of this thread (as it has now been replied to many times), i would upload a few photos of what the current radiators look like. :)
I hope that next year, adding new radiators (plus TRVs to secure the building reg cert) to complement my new boiler will be worthwhile overall.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20150801_123059.jpg
    20150801_123059.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 20150801_123111.jpg
    20150801_123111.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 122
  • 20150801_123122.jpg
    20150801_123122.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 107
Hi,

I just thought that for the benefit of this thread (as it has now been replied to many times), i would upload a few photos of what the current radiators look like. :)
I hope that next year, adding new radiators (plus TRVs to secure the building reg cert) to complement my new boiler will be worthwhile overall.

Thanks.

Look like the old Potterton rads or Penrads I think.

Look at it differently, did you move in before last winter? If so were you cold? If not the rads are big enough. Efficiency doesn't come into the equation if they're big enough. Cleaned, for the boilers sake of course, they will only give out more heat than you get at the moment which is sufficient.

Don't change them unless the appearance offends your eye. If they're not large enough no problem. TRV's are generally a waste of time for efficiency, use them for comfort.

You don't need to wait until you have TRVs to get a Building regs cert. You are entitled to one now for your new boiler. Get onto Gas Safe and
ask them (0800 408 5500 or email: enquiries'at'gassaferegister.co.uk)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back