Legislation around contracts and expiration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This fcked up world we live in where nowadays there is zero incentive to be loyal or affiliated to any utility or associated company in any way.

For example Broadband, you sign up for a contracted deal for 12months and after such time your payments go UP, as you're ''out of contract' yet still contracted to pay and pay more!

Same for mobile phones, once you've paid off your phone for 24months or whatever they can keep on charging you the same amount for the phantom phone debt you no longer owe (ok it drops slightly apparently by 10% after 3months until you notice but till carries on.)

How very ****ed up that the financial ombudsman seems to be a toothless giant letting companies butt fck us in this way. Its morally wrong you grant them full access to your virtual wallet via a DD mandated agreement and they totally abuse it without any recompense.

How about all contracts are a 2way agreement which cease fully after agreed period, any extension must be prior agreed to allow continued service and most importantly payment.

OR we have in place a non payment clause for consumers which ensures any money taken after such time without the customer agreeing fully by supplying a continuation or renewal contract0 be refunded with interest after the contract agreement date.

Where's the protection for consumers??? I currently have 10 reminders in place for various contracts to remind me to check as of course none of these companies despite some of them being with for years have zero loyalty back to me to do the right thing.

Sponsored Links
For example Broadband, you sign up for a contracted deal for 12months and after such time your payments go UP, as you're ''out of contract' yet still contracted to pay and pay more!

Same for mobile phones, once you've paid off your phone for 24months or whatever they can keep on charging you the same amount for the phantom phone debt you no longer owe (ok it drops slightly apparently by 10% after 3months until you notice but till carries on.)
That’s an apathy tax especially for the lazy gits out there! If you don’t like it, switch! For example, I renew my sim only contract every 12 months. I buy through TopCashback so my Three sim-only 12 month contract with 12Gb data and unlimited texts and calls is £8 a month. Knock off the £30 I get from TopCashback and that brings it down to £5.50 a month. That’s exactly half the price if you were joining Three directly. Same with broadband. Same with AA membership. Same with many things. You shouldn’t have to shop around but it often pays to be a new customer. Get off your lazy arse and sort it out!

That’s an apathy tax especially for the lazy gits out there! If you don’t like it, switch! For example, I renew my sim only contract every 12 months. I buy through TopCashback so my Three sim-only 12 month contract with 12Gb data and unlimited texts and calls is £8 a month. Knock off the £30 I get from TopCashback and that brings it down to £5.50 a month. That’s exactly half the price if you were joining Three directly. Same with broadband. Same with AA membership. Same with many things. You shouldn’t have to shop around but it often pays to be a new customer. Get off your lazy arse and sort it out!

Absolutely is an apathy scam, which is what consumer protection should be all about. I cannot fking believe we have any protection here it shouldn't be permitted ever.
Same with these online companies that auto renew payments. NOONE should be allowed.
Sure it's fine if you got time to sit around surfing the best and cheapest supplier times about 10 at least here when you have multiple phone, leccy, bband etc etc. All doing the same apathy scam, what happened to customer loyalty?
Far from lazy here i assure you, im busy saving the planet so these things are annoyances that shouldn't exist, i wish i could keep on billing my customers for fck all until they remember... and even then it's too late as i already have their money hah lazy suckers!

Same with these online companies that auto renew payments. NOONE should be allowed.
Having said that, I've just remembered that I had an email two days ago telling me that my annual travel insurance had auto renewed! Last renewal they gave me 15 months for the price of 12 because of Covid. I don’t think I’ve been anywhere in 15 months and apart from a possible 5 day fly-ride holiday in Spain that was rescheduled from last October to this November, I have nothing on the horizon so I’m going to cancel that within the 14 day cooling off period.

Sponsored Links
Having said that, I've just remembered that I had an email two days ago telling me that my annual travel insurance had auto renewed! Last renewal they gave me 15 months for the price of 12 because of Covid. I don’t think I’ve been anywhere in 15 months and apart from a possible 5 day fly-ride holiday in Spain that was rescheduled from last October to this November, I have nothing on the horizon so I’m going to cancel that within the 14 day cooling off period.
Just remembered and cancelled. Easy to do online with an immediate confirmation that I will get a full refund within 3-5 working days. :)

Car insurance due, renewal notice cam in @ £ 385

jumped a lot???

Went on to a comparison site, same Insurer offered to insure me for £ 337

But best price on same comparison site [same cover] was £ 256

Wonder what I should do?? [guess]

My Energy supplier has just gone bust, this is the second smaller supplier that I have been contracted to that has gone bust inside a year, fair play, no loses due to the background changing between suppliers.

Back