Contract between Plasterer and customer?

Thanks for the clarification on skimming and floating.

In this case then we are talking about skimming mainly, with possibly some small areas to repair. The plaster is in the main original from around 1900 ceilings are lath and plaster and as far as I can tell the laths are in good order with only a few cracks here and there in the old plaster.

After a closer look at the work I thought was good I realise there has been some lack of care and attention to detail which will cause me some remedial work and associated costs.

I have now been given a recommendation from my plumber of a plasterer he uses and rates very highly. He is I am assured extremely honest reliable and charges a fair rate for the work undertaken. Needless to say he is kept constantly busy - sounds like the sort of person I will be happy to deal with. Might have to wait but I am confident that it will be worth it

Sponsored Links
I have now been given a recommendation from my plumber of a plasterer he uses and rates very highly. He is I am assured extremely honest reliable and charges a fair rate for the work undertaken. Needless to say he is kept constantly busy - sounds like the sort of person I will be happy to deal with. Might have to wait but I am confident that it will be worth it

I notice you're in Cheshire too (Warrington - or is that your surname?)
Anyway, I'm currently having my bathroom re-done from a local builder. He has done work for me in the past and been very good.
The bathroom plastering is now done and I am extremely pleased with the quality of finish. Some patching was needed with Bonding where tiles had been removed, and he then put a tight Bonding coat over the entire wall before skimming.
If interested, drop me a PM & I can send some details. I sounded him out about it earlier today.

No Manchester area :D

Thank you for your kind offer - for the moment I think I will be ok with the new guy - although if I do find different hope I may pm you then

good question newbie ;) i would only call it floating if i was doing large areas or whole walls, small areas i would say is more like patching or 'making good'.

involves much more plaster than skimming alone as it's applied much thicker, takes a tiny bit less time to do though as you don't have to trowel it as much as finish plaster, just get it on, rule it off, fill the hollows and rule again.

that quote does seem high, i've just put a quote in for a lounge 6x3ish, and 3 bedrooms approx. 3x3ish each, to completely remove old render, fit beads, float walls, skim walls and skim artex ceilings in all bedrooms, 3k all in including materials, just a guideline for comparison.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back