Leisure battery questions

Sponsored Links
Yep sadly too far past it before pic taken.
It was Wednesday 15th.

BTW this wasn't on fire but talking to EX fire fighter son in law all breakdowns are treated with caution, especially if report of unexpected low power.

EDIT: recovery now avoid towing some makes of EV to prevent the motors generating.

Last edited:
In the early 1900s, battery cases were made of porous materials such as tar-lined wood boxes, so storing batteries on concrete floor would accelerate their natural self-discharge due to external leakage.
Mottie is older than he looks.

By time I was looking at batteries they were in glass jars. 1679312090478.png I remember cells being put into tar lined boxes, but the cell cases were hard rubber.

Sponsored Links
By time I was looking at batteries they were in glass jars. View attachment 298745 I remember cells being put into tar lined boxes, but the cell cases were hard rubber.
About 1970 the radio club I attended were 'donated' (I use the term loosely) 2 bus wheels and the adapters used for temporary bus stops to form bases for our aerials on the flat roof of the hotel where we met and while collecting them from the trolly bus station we were also 'donated' 4* 6V traction batteries. I estimate they were 500mm long * 300mm wide * 600mm high just as Eric describes with 3 brittle liners encased in tar in a highly polished dovetailed mahogany box, with tar lids on each cell and exposed lead straps between the cells. To call them a 2 man lift was a bit of an understatement. the first charge being with a 4A charger had the meter solidly on the right hand end stop for for at least a week. Luckily some one got hold of a 28V 20A ex BT rectifier (power supply).

The big telephone batteries (typically 1-10KAh) were similar wooden open top boxes but with a lead liner 600*1000*1000mm high per cell being very commonplace. Smaller cells up to say 500Ah being in glass. All of course being open topped so one had to be very carefull to not drop anything in; such as penn/screwdriver from top pocket.

Last edited:
The Nickle iron battery was the one where dropping a spanner was bad. More cells than lead acid, and current they could deliver was daft.

Buses and milk tankers used them.

The Nickle iron battery was the one where dropping a spanner was bad. More cells than lead acid, and current they could deliver was daft.

Buses and milk tankers used them.
My comment was based on dropping things in and contamination, One low SG cell we found a 12ft steel tape measure plastic case a few weeks after our own electricians had done some work on the ceiling.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back