Let by testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a permisable amount allowed.

Going back to Landlord safetey check later on , stopped it yesterday due to meter letting by at a rate of about 1.5mb in a min.

Tried working handle and rechecked a few times but constant 1.5 a min by,
Advised a transco call out,left it turned off as empty property.

Customer has since phoned me back saying they came put test on and said its all fine.

So as im off back there later im just making sure as if its still letting by im going to have to charge him this time.

Sponsored Links
I am surprised that some of you are able to keep customers with those charging techniques.

We quote a fixed price and stick to it whatever we find on an LSC.

If we have to return another day to retest something then thats our bad luck but it rarely happens.

My normal procedure would be to issue the certificate listing the defects found. If the landlord then wanted to have a new clean certificate then we might charge again but probably would not in most cases.

I was once fooled into thinking that there was let by but in reality it was a mostly blocked test nipple on the meter. That may well be the problem you found !!!

Tony

Not telling you how to suck lemons but here we go.

Let by test:- Raise pressure to 10mb and observe for 1min. I pressure rises by <=0.5mb then OK, if more than 0.5mb then valve letting by.

Disconnect meter via outlet union of issolation valve and apply LDF, let by if bubbling.

dont forget to wipe off LDF. ;)

Sponsored Links
Been back and whatever they did its rock solid now,he had even managed to get a cloth on the hob i moaned about being so grease coated.

Thanks

edit ,

went back as with it letting by at that rate i hadnt completed a soundness test and i cant for my peace of mind let that happen.

Agile is right, at least a couple of times a week transco mates moan in the cafe about people not realising pressure carries on rising on letby caused by a partially blocked nipple ad calling them out.. The other favourite is the govenor must be bol##xed as it blew the water out the gauge.

clf-gas said:

Let by test:- Raise pressure to 10mb and observe for 1min. I pressure rises by <=0.5mb then OK, if more than 0.5mb then valve letting by.

Disconnect meter via outlet union of issolation valve and apply LDF, let by if bubbling.

According to the new Corgi book permissable movement has changed to 2.25 for water and digital U guages or 0.2 if the guage as only one decimal point

gotta love em

Also could have been the grease in the ECV needed a bit of moving around too, had that before.

scatmanjohn said:
corgiman wrote
movement has changed to 2.25

:eek:

I Kid not scat

Just got isssued with the new CORGI book and guides and in the Tightness testing one it lists the permissable movement as the above

also on u16 meters with pipework 28mm and lower you only have a 1 mbar drop with no smell of gas

ALLL CHANGE

AGAIN

corgiman said:
scatmanjohn said:
corgiman wrote
movement has changed to 2.25

:eek:

I Kid not scat

Just got isssued with the new CORGI book and guides and in the Tightness testing one it lists the permissable movement as the above

also on u16 meters with pipework 28mm and lower you only have a 1 mbar drop with no smell of gas

ALLL CHANGE

AGAIN

I kid you not corgiman if that was the case then why bother with a let by, on a tightness test a 2mb would show as a sound test, and on new pipework with no permissable drop :?: :?: :?: :eek: :eek:

ECV letting by at 2mb over 1min test, this would show as a sound tightness test on pipework that actually has a drop of 4mb over 2min test period.

Really if you've got the new CORGI books and it says 2.25mb ok, then surely it must be a typo :?:

clf-gas said:

Get it right clf-gas

You do not raise the pressure, you reduce it to 50% of the operating pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back