Lets Get This Straight.....Waterproof grout....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....isn't waterproof?

I have just tiled and grouted the shower, using a white grout that claims to be fine for shower areas. Are we saying that it isn't waterproof?

Its a bit like saying, "build a house from nice, hard bricks, but hey, don't assume they'll stay way"

Given that this glorious piece of mis-selling has left me with grout that may let in water over time, can I paint anything on it to make it actually waterproof? What about a thin layer of clear silicon selant, aplied with a finger? Would that look garbage?

Sponsored Links
"Waterproof" when used to describe grout means that it will not be damaged or deteriorate when in contact with water. It does not mean that is provides a watertight barrier to the passage of water.

In general use the amount of water absorbed by the grout will have evaporated by th etime the shower is used again. This is generally OK for domestic use but for commercial showers of if you have a large proportion of grout (such as with mosaics) it is preferable to use a tanking system as the larger amount of water entering the grout may not have time to dry out and can enter the substrate.

Same applies to the likes of Aquapanel which will resist the affects of water but it is not a barrier to water.

You can get different specs of grout that are more suitabl efor power showers such as BAL Superflex or Mapei Ultracolour that has a built in water repellant but they will both still allow water through over a prolonged time in contact with water.

Jason

Excellent advice by Jasonb - well explained. ;)
You can get grout sealer, but all it'll do is slow the absorption rate - it won't provide a totally waterproof barrier. ;)
Best idea is to tank the walls prior to tiling or use an epoxy grout (difficult to apply). If your shower doesn't get too much hammer, grouting the shower with a decent grout should be enough. Hopefully you'll not have problems, but if you do, remember to tank shower walls in future.

Sponsored Links
I did my first ever tiling job, back end last year, which included an over the bath, power shower unit.
Was concerned wether or not the 'waterproof' grout was waterproof. As a precaution , decided to apply diluted PVA to grouted joints. This should also avoid staining, by dirty water ie.over flowing waterd pot plants etc.

I spent an incredibly boring couple of hours going over the grout lines with a thin bead of clear Dow Corning sealant.

The price one pays for being a perfectionist :rolleyes: .

I spent an incredibly boring couple of hours going over the grout lines with a thin bead of clear Dow Corning sealant.

The price one pays for being a perfectionist :rolleyes: .

you need to get out more ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back