Let's talk office/computer chairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I've had the same one for about 15 years, the padding has pushed out, the leather's all ripped up. I was looking at getting a new one, and there are a few essentials, firstly I need good upper back support and secondly I need it to last. I do a fair bit of CAD design work now so I can sit for up to 3-4 hours at a time.

One problem I have is my legs are short, so if I recline the chair my legs have a tendancy to dangle in mid-air and I get pins and needles in my arse if I stay like this for too long. The main problem with chairs is that there is either very poor padding which doesn't last very long, or the back of the chair is not sturdy enough to support the upperback, causing me to hunch forward thereby having a posture less than 90 degrees.

This fat guy is reviewing one on his youtube channel

I was thinking about buying this considering I probably won't have much luck in staples or anywhere else. I'm also going to buy a foot rest to raise the feet up. I think this would help a lot in itself.

Anyone have any preference/opinion ?

Sponsored Links
Good quality office chair is needed, £300+ for a decent one, had a head rest on mine as I had neck op and can't sit upright too long without pain and numbness.
Ideally you need a chair that can be adapted to your physique.Not a good idea to sit for several hours without a break.We had a studio guy who after 20+ years of sitting at a mac needed an operation to remove a spur at the base of his spine caused simply by spending too much time on his rear.

Is that what you paid fox? I was eyeing up this one from staples, but really not sure. http://www.staples.co.uk/penteller-...e=400600999&Effort_Code=WW&Find_Number=420528 Seeing as there's no way for me to try these gaming chairs without buying them online, it makes things difficult.

Like that guy you mentioned, I developed a lot of leg tension from sitting for long periods over many years, I read it shortens the muscles in the psoas muscle due to the body being at a 90 degree (folded angle), not normal for the body as we were made to walk about and not sit in office chairs all day. I do get a lot of pain in the base of my arse from sitting on a normal seated chair, and weird pins and needles that come on down the sides of my legs. I suppose when you sit, you're upper body weight is distributed through your arse and not your feet, it's bound to cause weird muscle imbalances. Did that guy you mention ever by chance mention having experienced numbness in the lower regions ?

I'm still at an adventuring age, so plan on travelling next year, hoping that'll resolve a few of these lower back problems.

My dad was a bus driver at one time. He claimed that many bus drivers (including himself) developed big bellies because they sat throughout the working day.

Nothing to do with food, I'm sure.

Sponsored Links
I'd actually recommend some Rubber or Plastic ferrules like these, fitted onto an office chair. This can help the grip, whilst stabilizing you at all times!

Of course, this depends on the type of office chair you end up choosing as ones with wheels obviously wont work with ferrules.

How about getting your current chair refurbished by an upholsterer?

Ikea have a good range of office chairs (I'm sitting on one right now)

Office chairs - what a bone of contention.
I work at a desk working on the computer all day, my employer provides chairs that cost no more than £50 !!
We complain and they say they are getting new chairs, then they find some conferencing chairs in the catalog for under £50 that are not very adjustable.
Someone has bought in his own chair like the one in the video, no doubt he will be being told to take it home a its making the office not look the same.

Whatever you get, it needs easy up down and back forwards adjustent - do NOT get one where you have to turn a handle to adjust the backrest - they are ****e, pneumatic adjustment all the way. It should have good lumbar support, your feet should be able to fit flat on the ground and if working in it all day while on the computer it should be able to support your back and neck well.

Unlike mine!

Sponsored Links
Back