Lifting up professionally laid carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a few years ago i fitted my house out with brand new carpets and they look lovely.
I now need to lift up some of the carpets in the upstairs bedrooms so that I can access/lay some wires in the floor boards, but i dont want to ruin the job that they have done,
Can anyone give me some tips on how to do this and make a good job of relaying the carpet (or not damaging it when i pick it up).

I did try to start carefully lifting the carpet from underneath the metal door strips - but the pronged teeth that hold the carpet in place - seem to not like the carpet being pulled out and i am worried that if i do this, it wont ever fit in the door frame again properly. Should i carefully pull the carpet - or do i remove the whole metal strip from the floor first.

I have seen people try to relay carpet before - and they end up with a kind of bunching towards the edges of the rooms, is there anyway that i can avoid this as much as possible.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to pull the carpet up. It is held in tension by the spikes in the threshold strip and the gripper rods. If possible you need to try to push the carpet toward the wall to try to minimize any risk or ripping the carpet. Probably best not to start at the door, as a high traffic area chances are that the spikes have been bent down a bit and are gripping the carpet even tighter. I would pay someone to re fit it for you.

you need to remove the metal strips to lift the carpet off the grips

check the metal strip is hidden beneath the door when closed if not note position

assuming the carpets are held by grips you should roll back the carpet from a corner to just over one half way along the wall insert wires
relay carpet by pushing out wrinkles towards the corner then either side forecing out wrinlkles

if you need to fold back a whole length at once go only as far as you have to lay the cable re-secure floor
push the carpet tightly to the centre then tightly to the corners then work tight the areas inbetween
refit the metal strip in the correct position

Sponsored Links
To lift the carpet push forward, if you have trainers on kick the carpet.
When you relay it again if you havnt got a carpet kicker, use your trainers.
When you lift the carpet only lift the bit you need up OR do it in sections.
MIND YOU DO NOT STRETCH IT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back