Light 12v transformers replacement.

Sponsored Links
If I wanted to avoid soldering a new end onto the light cable, could I just join the two using an inline switch instead?
Well you could, but it seems a bit defeatist to mangle the ends of two cables just to avoid a bit of soldering.

How would I know which is live and neutral cables, Or wouldn’t it matter?
  1. The 12V side doesn't have "live & neutral".
  2. But it's AC, so it doesn't matter anyway.

put what looks like a DIN speaker connector on the cable from the transformer

I did search for that first, but they just don't look right to me, so I didn't want to suggest them to the OP. I don't get why the bigger hole is nearly square and not a flat, 'letterbox-ish' hole. :eek:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pin-DI...130542?hash=item542d7896ee:g:4GMAAOSwdrRXGlkH

Although, looking at the OP's last photo (which I failed to do earlier, hence my error), it does look very similar.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
to avoid soldering

There are screw terminal versions of that type...

41hUw0Oi3pL._SX342_.jpg

...but they look ridiculous. You might just as well cut them both off and join them with...

3A-2-Way-Screw-Terminal-Block-Connector.jpg

...if you're not that fussed. I would solder and heatshrink them together and have no connectors personally.

Sponsored Links
Again - thank you to everyone who has helped me keep my metal twig lights, really appreciate it.

I’ll get the transformer as suggested, and will connect the two wires through an in-line switch, always wanted a switch on them, so it makes sense to take this opportunity.

Just to be 100%, I don’t need to worry about which order the wires are connected, as they don’t have a live/neutral, as it’s AC...don’t want to explode anything when I switch it back on lol!

Cheers everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back