1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Light and dark patches

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Ryan85, 3 Jun 2021.

Tags:
  1. Ryan85

Ryan85

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi four coats in with dulux goose down scuff proof pmpaint and there is weird light and dark patches. I can't fathom how to resolve this one. Any help please. You can see where some areas don't look covered as much. Only seems to be on two walls. I washed them down before use. Iused an up and down technique across the wall with the roller and ensured there were no areas not evenly covered.
    https://ibb.co/tD7PFFg
    https://ibb.co/JRhM7t0

I'm by no means experienced with painting.

Any help greatly appreciated. It looks worse depending on time of day and lighting.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2021
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Chivas69

Chivas69

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Did you paint quickly and lay off in the same direction? Adding 10 to 20% water may help as it'll keep a wet edge longer!
    Also any uneven ness to the wall will show shadows, especially if the paint has vinyl in it!

4. Ryan85

Ryan85

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for your response. Ah so juggling kids and painting meant these were not done quickly that might explain it. Also no I didn't lay off but went over the wall with the roller once painted to ensure even spread. There are areas where the wall is more textured looking closer. I'm guessing if I want to resolve this I'd need to sand the wall back and start again.

5. Chivas69

Chivas69

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think the main thing may be that you went back over it once done. Any slight paint drying and going over it again will pull it a bit. You can do 1 meter squares or roller width top to bottom but do it quick. Each band (square meter or top to bottom) should take about 10 to 15 seconds and then a gentle lay off in a downward motion from top to bottom, then move on to the next band. I prefer top to bottom bands!

6. Ryan85

Ryan85

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok that makes sense thanks but putting more paint on the walls isn't going to solve this, correct?

7. Sponsored Links
  8. Chivas69

Chivas69

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can give it a light sanding first.

9. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I agree that I think it is your technique.

Water will help but a better solution would be one of the propylene glycol additives. I normally use Floetrol but even bog standard propylene glycol (which is much cheaper) will help you to maintain a wet edge.

A better quality roller will also help (a lot). I tend to use the Purdy Colousus rollers with a short extension pole.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ryan85

Ryan85

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the fourth coat I ended up buying Wooster and a pole. Much easier but it was too late by them. I'll sand it down and try again. I'll try the substance you mentioned.

11. Ryan85

Ryan85

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Brilliant I'll look to buy them. Thanks

12. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would advise that you wash the roller sleeve first. They leave fluff otherwise.