Light and dark patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi four coats in with dulux goose down scuff proof pmpaint and there is weird light and dark patches. I can't fathom how to resolve this one. Any help please. You can see where some areas don't look covered as much. Only seems to be on two walls. I washed them down before use. Iused an up and down technique across the wall with the roller and ensured there were no areas not evenly covered.
https://ibb.co/tD7PFFg
https://ibb.co/JRhM7t0

I'm by no means experienced with painting.

Any help greatly appreciated. It looks worse depending on time of day and lighting.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Did you paint quickly and lay off in the same direction? Adding 10 to 20% water may help as it'll keep a wet edge longer!
Also any uneven ness to the wall will show shadows, especially if the paint has vinyl in it!

Did you paint quickly and lay off in the same direction? Adding 10 to 20% water may help as it'll keep a wet edge longer!
Also any uneven ness to the wall will show shadows, especially if the paint has vinyl in it!

Thank you for your response. Ah so juggling kids and painting meant these were not done quickly that might explain it. Also no I didn't lay off but went over the wall with the roller once painted to ensure even spread. There are areas where the wall is more textured looking closer. I'm guessing if I want to resolve this I'd need to sand the wall back and start again.

I think the main thing may be that you went back over it once done. Any slight paint drying and going over it again will pull it a bit. You can do 1 meter squares or roller width top to bottom but do it quick. Each band (square meter or top to bottom) should take about 10 to 15 seconds and then a gentle lay off in a downward motion from top to bottom, then move on to the next band. I prefer top to bottom bands!

Sponsored Links
Ok that makes sense thanks but putting more paint on the walls isn't going to solve this, correct?

I agree that I think it is your technique.

Water will help but a better solution would be one of the propylene glycol additives. I normally use Floetrol but even bog standard propylene glycol (which is much cheaper) will help you to maintain a wet edge.

A better quality roller will also help (a lot). I tend to use the Purdy Colousus rollers with a short extension pole.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for the fourth coat I ended up buying Wooster and a pole. Much easier but it was too late by them. I'll sand it down and try again. I'll try the substance you mentioned.

I agree that I think it is your technique.

Water will help but a better solution would be one of the propylene glycol additives. I normally use Floetrol but even bog standard propylene glycol (which is much cheaper) will help you to maintain a wet edge.

A better quality roller will also help (a lot). I tend to use the Purdy Colousus rollers with a short extension pole.
Brilliant I'll look to buy them. Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back