Light fitting wires have Clear Insulation - Live wire?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
recently purchased a new Ceiling light (Franklite Senza). I'm wiring it up but find the Live and Neutral wires are exactly the same, with clear plastic insulation around them.

I was told you can see a thin thread of blue or brown in them, but even with a torch and magnifying glass I can't see it??????

How can I find out which one is which??? Can I wire it up and if it doesn't work, swap them around, or will that blow something in the circuit?

Any ideas??? :(

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Great.

It does have a green and yellow wire for Earth, and also an Earth Wire fixed to the chrome fitting.

I'm assuming I fit both Earth wires into the choc block connected to the circuit Earth?

Just wondering why the live and neutral wire doesn't matter with this type of light fitting?

Because there's no way to be more likely to accidentally touch one side of the lamp connection than the other.

With large screw-in lamp sizes, unless the holder is shrouded, it is possible to touch the thread of the lamp when inserting it, so with that type of light you should connect N to the outer thread and L to the centre cap.

Just wondering why the live and neutral wire doesn't matter with this type of light fitting?

It doesn't matter

unless

unless

unless the light fitting has a switch on the fitting itself. I'm guessing there's no switch?
Is it does then the live must go to the switch.

The light fitting doesn't have a switch on it as it is on the ceiling.

Thanks for your help.

Just need to get it onto the ceiling now - very heavy!!!!!!

Just need to get it onto the ceiling now - very heavy!!!!!!

Assuming its of the kind that has a small C shapped bracket that you fix to the ceiling, and then wire the fitting and attach it to this brakcet with two screws (either with slots to slide onto the screws or plain holes)...

Then after you have fixed the bracket to somthing solid, hang the fitting from the bracket using a screwhole on the fitting and an offcut of wire about a foot long. Wire the fitting using both hands then remove the temporary support and screw the fitting back, its a lot easier than trying to wire the fitting while balancing it on your shoulder!

Thanks Adam_151 for this tip. However, I have read this too late. I ended up using two ladders and my wife, to hold the light fitting on her head, whilst I wired it up and then attempted to fix it to the C bracket. I dropped the fixing screws several times, leading to my Wife getting rather tired and fed up

Quite funny really, but my Wife wasn't too impressed with my lack of DIY prowess !!!!!!

All done now and looking great.

Thanks everyone for your help.

DIYnot has the best, and friendliest forum in the world :D

A small blob of blu-tack or weather proof compound or putty will help to hold screws to the screwdriver and keep them off the floor next time :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back