wiring a light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there iv just purchased a new ceiling light and confused about the wiring

I have 2 blue wires 2 browns and a green one but on new light there is only 3 connecters
For 1 blue 1 brown and one green... any ideas as idont wanna blow myself up

Sponsored Links
Hi there iv just purchased a new ceiling light and confused about the wiring. I have 2 blue wires 2 browns and a green one but on new light there is only 3 connecters
I don't suppose you noted down, photographed or can remember how those wires were connected to the old light, did you?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
amazing how the sleeves fall off !

So the browns need connecting together in a terminal block.

Blue to the blue on the light
Blue to the brown on the light
green/yellow to green/yellow

Apologies for slowness - yes, wot Andy said! You will have to find some sort of connector block in which to join the two browns.

Kind Regards, John

To wire it you need to identify which wire goes to the switch and what one is the feed.

The wire what is your feed wire; the brown wire joins the brown wire of the switches wire.

Then the blue wire from your switch (sleeved brown) joins the brown wire of your light fitting.

Lastly, the blue wire on your light fitting joins the blue wire of the feed cable.

(Also join all earths together, including to the earth terminal of your light fitting)

I think your post may be a little too late, the photo shows the light installed and working. Late night, was it? :rolleyes:

I think your post may be a little too late, the photo shows the light installed and working. Late night, was it? :rolleyes:

It's not too late.

It would seem from all the info given, the op may not have correctly identified the correct blue to use as the switched live.

As there are only two blues, it will obviously still 'work' which ever way round the blues are.

However, I would recommend the op (unless he already has) should identify which blue goes to the switch. He should then sleeve this blue with brown sleeving, then connect it to the L on the fitting. The remaining blue to the N of the fitting.

Personally I don't like to see reversed polarity on light fittings (though I don't suppose it makes a massive difference).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back