Light Fitting wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came back from a couple of days away to find the chandelier in the hall has fallen down. An electrician fitted it, but basically when i've looked he's just screwed into the lathe and plaster. Complete bodge.It was never gonna hold for long with the weight.
I cant get hold of him so..
I,ve reinforced the ceiling with a small batten.
The problem is reconnecting the light, as i obviously didnt see how it was wired.
from the ceiling theres a red wire( obviously live)
theres also a red wire sheathed in black ( i'm thinking switched live)
There are numerous cables with a connector block.

On the chandelier, theres a 4 way connector block.
Obviously, live neutral and earth. But theres a black wire connected as well.

Can anybody tell me which wire goes to which. And should the plain black be connected to the block in the ceiling?

The chandelier is actually controlled by 3 seperate switches,2 of which just turn the light on and off, the other also brings on a spotllight in the kitchen at the same time.

Is it fairly straightforward, or do i need another spark to do it.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the light fitting has four terminals (line,neutral and cpc) then the fourth terminal would normally be used to house the live loop.
It would be very helpful for photographs of what cables are sticking out of the hole left by the chandelier and the light unit itself.
You should have at least a switch line, neutral and cpc.
You may also have line loop, neutral loop and a link to the kitchen lights.

from the ceiling theres a red wire( obviously live)
No - not "obviously". You need to test.

theres also a red wire sheathed in black ( i'm thinking switched live)
You might be right.

You might be wrong.

You need to test.

Can anybody tell me which wire goes to which.
Not really, not without guessing.

And should the plain black be connected to the block in the ceiling?
Possibly.

Possibly not.

You need to test.

Is it fairly straightforward, or do i need another spark to do it.
Do you have a multimeter, and an understanding of how lighting circuits work?

Update.
Ive put the connector block from the light fitting on the ceiling wire.
Wires from the ceiling- 1=red, 1= red with black sheath at top.
The black wire i've reconnected to the other black wires in the connector block in the ceiling,which you cant see in the photo.
The other wires from the cables goto the hidden connector block, all connections seem undisturbed and secure.

The wires on the light itself- L.N.E with additional earth.

The connector block on the light on one side had L.N,E and the black wire when it fell down.
grateful for any advice, there cant be much too it with only 4 connections.

Sponsored Links
Without specifically testing each wire it is difficult to say with any certaintity but on the assumption that you have done this and you do have a live (red) switched live (black/red sleeve), neutral and earth then connect as follows.

On the ceiling side of the four part terminal block put the live (red) in the first one, put the black/red sleeve in the next one, the black neutral in the third one and the earth in the fourth one.

On the lamp side of the four part terminal block put the brown in the opposite terminal to the black/red sleeve - the blue neutral to the opposite side of the black neutral and the both the earths from the lamp to earth terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back