Light fitting with new layer of plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our ceiling was boarded over, so there is an extra 15mm or so of plasterboard than was there before.

I'm kind of stuck on how to attach a pendant - can I screw it directly into plasterboard? If so, is there a weight limit that we would need to stay under? (it's only a pendant, bulb and lightweight shade, not sure how lightweight yet though).

If it needs to be attached to a joist somehow, would I just need a bracket and some longer-than-normal screws?

View media item 90034
View media item 90035

Sponsored Links
Clearly most people here are speechless, wondering how someone could add a layer of plasterboard without thinking about this aspect first.

If I were in this situation I would (after turning off the electricity at least to this circuit) unscrew the screw in the rose base, clear just away enough of the new plasterboard to pull the rose down and see it there was enough slack in the cable to lower it to the new surface.

You then have to fill the new hole with something to allow the rose to be screwed back to the new (lower) position. If the cables won't reach then you have a real problem. Not insoluble but a pain nevertheless. You should also be able to see what the rose is fixed to, or be able to cut away some old plaster board to discover this.

I imagine that longer screws may be the answer but only you can find this out.

There looks to be a metallic BESA box behind unless my eyes deceive me.

The fitting should be attached to the threaded holes using M4 or 2BA screws (depending on the edge of the box.. try M4, if it doesn't grip in the threaded hole and seems too small, then you'll have to find some 2BA)

A ceiling rose will have the fixing centres spaced to match the besa box, the same gues for the metal bracket supplied with most 'fancy fittings'

Yes the plasterers were averse to the electrics, such that they asked me to take the ceiling roses down before they started, and only when they were almost finished did they realise they forgot to cut the hole for the kitchen light. :)

Sorry should have given some more detail. There was a light fitting that we unscrewed, and the bracket it screwed into is still up in the hole somewhere. So as long as we can see the original screw holes, and we have screws long enough, we can just re-attach to the same bracket? The wiring should be long enough to attach to the new ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back